Chapter Thirteen

Just close your eyes,

The sun is going down.

You'll be alright,

No one can hurt you now.

Come morning light,

You and I'll be safe and sound.

********************************************************************************************************

Ash's screams filled the house as I sat in the living room helpless. The bloodcurdling screams chilled my bones as I yearned for his pain to cease. After one last anguished cry, there was silence. Francesca came to me instantly.

"He's stable. But, it's fifty-fifty on his survival. He suffered a near fatal blow to his head, and the burns he suffered, were some of the worst I've seen. He had a gash in his leg, he, lost a lot of blood. We did our best, but, we don't have a blood bank to hand. The next twenty four hours are touch and go." My eyes watched her lips, Ash could die. "Ella, do you understand?" She asked, placing a hand on my forehead.

"Yes. Can I," I pointed at the door, "Can I go and see him?" She nodded. I rose to my feet, knees trembling, legs weak, and walked towards the kitchen. Placing my hand on the door, I hesitated, afraid of what state he was in. I swallowed, closed my eyes, and walked in.

Lying on the kitchen island was a blood smothered young man. His face ashen, tear stained. THe stench of alcohol filled the room. I stepped slowly towards him. His eyes met mine. Slowly, his dry, cracked lips formed the smallest hint of a smile. I ran to him, throwing myself over him in a tight embrace. I felt his hand stroke my back, tears brimmed in my eyes, threatening to spill. "Why were you there?" I whispered taking hold of his hand.

"Don't worry. Are you okay? It got pretty heated there." He gasped for air then coughed, vigorously.

"I'm fine, just a few bruises." I smiled at him, "How are you?" I rubbed the back of his hand with my thumb.

"I'm feeling swell." He strained out. He winced, gripping my hand tighter.

"What is it?" I choked out.

"Just the drugs wearing off. Nothing to worry about." He smirked lightly.

"You should get some sleep, rest yourself so you can get better." I lifted my hand to his forehead moving the hair away, stroking his cheek. His eyes welled, and I gently kissed his lips; the copper taste of blood swarmed my mouth.

"Stay here." His eyes drooped.

"Always." I whispered into his ear.

Two hours passed, Francesca came and went, checking up on him, offering a small smile to me each time. Voices filled the hallway.

"She has to leave her personal issues aside. She is to lead us Charles." Alexander obviously had a problem with me.

"Do you think she doesn't know?! She is a child. Let her be for five minutes. We completed the objective. She has to be there for him." Mr Corelli shouted in a whisper at him.

"I knew she couldn't do it." Alexander snapped.

"She downloaded and demolished all Fire intel. Did you?" Mr Corelli shouted.

"We also lost lives." How many?

"That is always inevitable. You know that." I felt a chill creep up my spine. I kissed Ash's cheek, and strutted in to the hallway.

"Mr Dartford?" His head swung round at me. "If you are going to disrespect me further, you can say goodbye to your position, and rejoin the first time troops. Perhaps sir, you will learn respect among the young?" I stared at him, as coolly as I could. "Mr Corelli, may we discuss matters downstairs?"