Chapter Twelve

Walking home gave me time to think. I'd left things so messy with Ash, and knowing my recent luck, it would be the last time we would see each other. I should've told him that I loved him. But I don't. At least, I don't think I do. With all that had happened in the past few months, seeing him was the only thing I'd look forward to; I hadn't had time to think about how strong my feelings for him were. Fuck sake Ella, this isn't priority. 

Knowing how to stay alive is top priority. 

When I approached my porch, the door swung open, and out ran my mother. "Ella! I thought you'd gone already. I thought I wasn't going to get to say goodbye." She threw her arms around me, tears streaking her face. I ushered her through the doors and sat her on the sofa, weary of the scene she caued in my front garden. "Sorry, I just, after your father and Noah, I, I couldn't not say goodbye." Great, she thought I was going to die as well. 

"I promise mum, I'll come back." My words were steady. I was trying to convince myself more than her. 

"You can't promise things like that." She clenched her jaw. 

"I love you mum. Remember that." I planted a kiss on her cheek. 

"I love you too Ella, no matter what." Her eyes filled with tears as she pulled me into an embrace. When she finally let me go, I headed towards the door and looked back at her tiny frame, she gave me a small half hearted smile wiping a tear away from her eyes. I felt a large lump in my throat, threatening me. I bit my lip, I couldn't show her I wasn't ready, that I was too weak. I quickly turned and left, walking down the road to Mr Corelli's. The rendezvous point.

Mr Corelli was at the door before I had time to knock. "Are you ready?" He said stiffly. 

"As ready as I'll ever be." I doubtfully put.

"That's not good enough Ella. You need to be well and truly focused tonight." He coolly stated. "But I'm so proud of you, and your father would be too. You've made so much progress in the past few months." He pulled me in for a hug. For the first time since I had met him, he became warm, and caring. 

"Thank you sir. It's been a priviledge to work with you." I smiled curtly. 

"We need to get you ready." I frowned at him. "You need to be full equipped for this evening." 

"Okay." Nodding at him, he patted my back, and we walked through the hallway, and down to the basement where I'd done most of my training. He produced a box. I took it into my hands, lifting the lid. 

"I'll give you a second." He left the room. 

I opened the box fully now, peeking inside. In it was what looked like a uniform. A small pair of skinny fit cargo trousers, with numerous pockets, underneath this was a small hoodie; finally there was a small black vest and a pair of military boots. I hurried putting them on, not wanting to waste preparation time. I needed to be in the game, to know what I was facing, and to be ready.

 Mr Corelli knocked on the door, moments after I tied my laces. "You look... Acceptable." He smiled amused at his words. 

"You look bland." I retorted. He too had changed, into very similar attire. 

"Here." He walked over placing a bracelet in my hand. "It was Noah's. I think you have earned the right to have it. We must depart now, and meet with the others." I looked directly into his glassy eyes, he felt my fear too. "Don't worry Ella, I won't let anything happen to you." He rubbed my shoulder in a firm yet gentle way, calming my nerves. "I'll meet you upstairs. Prepare yourself for what's about to come." With that, he fled the room, taking the steps two at a time.