*4*

Belle put her back against the wall and slid down, holding one hand on her chest, trying to catch her breath. "What an ass,"  Belle mumbled to herself. Belle then picked herself off the floor and walked back to her dorm.

When she arrived in her room, a black owl sat at her window with a letter. She grabbed the message from the owl, sat on her bed, and read it. Lucius reminded her of The Dark Lord's visit during the break.

"I'm starting to hate him," she said to herself as she lay back in bed, placing one hand on her forehead and the other on her chest. Belle eventually fell asleep, still wearing her robs and gripping the note tightly in her right hand. Her dorm room door opened, waking her; Pansy was heading to breakfast. Belle rolled out of bed, walked to the washroom, showered, brushed her teeth, and got ready for the day. Belle didn't talk to anyone at breakfast.

Severus was staring at her from the teacher's table, but she ignored him. After eating, Belle stood up and started heading towards Herbology. She wasn't thrilled about her first class but still had to go. While listening to Professor Sprout explain the difference between herbs, Belle would daze out, and her mind would wander.

She didn't even notice Professor Sprout had dismissed the class. Hermione tapped on her shoulder, which pulled her from the trance. "What, Granger," she spat. "Professor Sprout has dismissed the class, Malfoy," Hermione said in the same tone. Belle didn't say anything more; she got up, pushed past Hermione, and headed for Defence Against The Dark Arts. Belle dazed out again, her thoughts running through her mind a mile a minute. Harry pulled her from it by tapping on her shoulder. "Step off, Potter," she spat. Harry said nothing; he moved aside to allow her to pass. In the afternoon, Belle had skipped lunch; instead, she sat in the library alone with her thoughts. Potion class was the last class of the day; she was late getting there.

"Late, I see 10 points from Slytherin for Ms. Malfoy's tardiness," Severus said. Unfortunately, Belle had a sunny day, so she spat back before she could stop herself. "You know what? You can shove those points up your ass, Snivellus!" Severus looked shocked, as did the entire class. "Detention, Ms. Malfoy," Professor Snape said in anger.

"You can ---" Before Belle finished that sentence, Katie had placed her hand over her mouth to prevent Belle from saying anything else. Belle finally sat in class; she got nothing but rude comments and evil glares from Severus. "Class dismissed," Professor Snape announced; all the students made a break for it. Belle sat at her table, staring at it; she felt lost, confused, and did not know what to do. Severus had walked out of the classroom, and Katie had popped her head back into the class, seeing Belle hadn't gotten up yet. She then felt a warm hand slip under her chin, lifting her face until she met Katie's brown eyes. They were so inviting and calming that they made her fears melt away.

"I'm sorry," she spoke with tears in her eyes.

"What has gotten into you?" Katie asked, still holding her chin.

"I don't know. I've had a shit week. I yelled at Hermione, Ron, and Harry. They didn't even do anything wrong," She replied. Katie moved her hand from Belle's chin to adjust herself. Belle then placed her head in her palms. Severus had walked back into the classroom to see Katie and Belle a bit close to each other.

"Class dismissed," the voice of a hurt man rang through the empty classroom.

"I was getting Belle, professor. We're leaving now," Katie said. She was reaching out her hand for Belle to take. As she does, she notices Severus's face. He was upset, holding back what seemed to be tears. Belle asked Katie if she could wait for her outside in the hall. Katie agreed, and she quickly made her way out.

"How do you know about that god-awful nickname? Also, I didn't think you'd fancy a woman," Severus asked, not wanting to look at her.

"Simple, my uncle used to call you that, and my mother told me about it. So yeah, and?" she replied.

"I hated that nickname when I was younger. I didn't expect it to follow me into adulthood. It's your life; you can do as you please. I was just curious," Severus replied. Belle could hear his hurt, but he would never admit it.

"Well, don't piss people off who know things like that. Also, I fancy men and women," she barked out. Then, realizing that Katie was still waiting for her out in the hall, she told Severus they must continue their conversation another time. Belle gathered her stuff, said goodbye to Severus, and met Katie in the lobby. She was playing a prank on one of the Slytherins. Belle just shook her head, giggling as Katie looked behind her to see Belle standing there.

"Everything alright, love?" Katie asked sweetly.

"Yes," she replied. Katie reached for her hand and grabbed it. Katie also took her books and carried them. Severus had seen them walking hand in hand down the hall.

Severus was sitting in his chambers when he heard a knock on the door. "Who could it be at this hour?" he said to himself. Severus stood up, walked over to the door, and opened it slightly to have a peek; it was Dumbledor. Severus took a deep breath. "Hello, Albus. What brings you around this late?" he said.