1 5 || 𝙋 𝙍 𝘼 𝙔 [2/3]

ℙ𝔸ℝ𝕋 𝟚 𝕆𝔽 𝕆ℕ𝔼 𝕎𝕆𝕄𝔸ℕ'𝕊 𝕊𝔼𝔸ℝℂℍ 𝔽𝕆ℝ 𝔼𝕍𝔼ℝ𝕐𝕋ℍ𝕀ℕ𝔾

𝔻𝔸𝕐 𝟙𝟙 𝕋𝕆 𝟚𝟘 - 𝕍𝔸ℝ𝔸ℕ𝔸𝕊𝕀

𝙺𝚊𝚜𝚑𝚒  𝚅𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚊𝚝𝚑  𝚃𝚎𝚖𝚙𝚕𝚎 - 𝟽:𝟶𝟶𝚙𝚖

I collapsed onto the steps leading up to the main entrance of a temple. I crawled into a foetal position, hugging my tiny bag. Someone cleared their throat, "Are you lost, young one?"

I looked up and saw an elderly priest smiling at me, "Um, I'm looking for the Kashi Vishwanath temple."

He smiled, offering me his hand, "You are at the right place, follow me, young one."

He led me to the little rooms that were allocated for people taking a spiritual journey. As he walked out he looked at my bag, "I hope you know that whilst on your journey, you will detach yourself from the world, as well as it's materialistic values."

I sighed, "Could you keep it for me? It's the stuff from the first part of my journey."

"First part?" Priest Bharat looked at me, confused.

"I'm on a journey of self discovery. You see, I have three parts to this journey. 10 days in Delhi for my stomach and soul, 10 days here to purify me of the world's toxins, and 10 days in Agra to , well, find balance, for my mended heart."

He gave me a sly look, "Mended heart?"

I looked away, "Hopefully."

He took my bag and as he walked out he spoke up, "We will begin tomorrow, at the break of dawn."

I was awoken at the crack of dawn. It wasn't that terrible as I had woken up at the same time when I was in training for the USSS. Priest Bharat led me to a courtyard, where many people were chanting a hymn. I sat down among them, looking around awkwardly.

"Close your eyes and chant, Seraphina."

I closed my eyes and began to chant with them. We did this for all the time I was there, from the break of dawn until the sun was out, high in the sky. I found it difficult to keep up. Chanting 182 lines every morning without fail was something new for me.

I discovered that it wasn't just repeating lines until you were wheezing, but that it gives you power. The power of sound.

Stretching. I had only ever done it before exercising. Never had I thought it could be so relaxing. Yoga prepares the mind for meditation and keeps one's body limber. I followed the priest who stood in front of us, as he guided us through different poses. Feeling my muscles slowing begin to relax after doing this every morning for 10 days straight was an amazing.

My wondrous adventure did not stop there.

Life at the temple wasn't all relaxing. We worked hard. Scrubbing floors and doing tons of chores was not an easy task. Especially because the temple was so huge. Discipline is something that all soldiers' must have, but I had never learnt discipline in this way.

My favourite part was the meditation. Just hours of silence.

Not just for the ears, but for the mind too.

It was like nothing I had ever felt before. Just not thinking for 3 hours straight everyday for 10 days. It was calming, relaxing. Soothing.

On my last day at the temple, after the meditation, a young man approached me.

"Sorry love, I couldn't help but notice that you smile when you meditate. You like it so much, yeah?" His thick European accent rained down on me.

"Well, of course I like it so much."