Chapter Fifteen

Murder. 

Noun.

The unlawful premeditated killing of one human by another.

It's such a simple word. A word that means so much, a word that is so vile, so monstrous and is known as the greatest sin in the world.

And yet, everyone does it.

Police officers murder, whether it's a robber trying to steal, or a person trying to commit murder as well. Hunters murder, they kill innocent little animals.

Since the dawn of time people have murdered. Whether, it's to save a life or get revenge. Every species can murder, it's just one question that stops us from doing the action.

Do I?

And that's the question I, Kathryn Emma Chambers, am asking myself right now as I am standing over this horrid man.

Do I kill him?

 -Four Days Earlier-

Me, my mom and Keith were sitting on the floor quietly eating our breakfast, which was just an apple.

Everyone was quietly eating, not bothering to talk. Because there was nothing really anything to talk about except for death, the patients, and what the hell are we going to do. Which after a while, we've all gotten tired of talking about.

So here we sat, quietly. Trying so hard to forget about what the patients are doing outside. All of us trying to forget what might happen if we don't do anything.

I was about to take another bite of my golden apple when I heard a crash from outside. I looked around me to see if anyone else noticed, and it looked like they have.

We heard it again only louder and closer. By this time we all stopped eating and stood up from our spots, to see what was going on.

We all remained quiet, the only thing I could hear was someone's loud obnoxious breathing. I froze when I heard footsteps walking up the stairs, the six steps to the door.

One.

I quietly took Keith's hand in mine and gave it a small squeeze.

Two.

Keith squeezed back, I looked up at him and he gave a small nod.

Three.

I gulped.

Four.

I slowly took another bite of my apple.

Five.

I swallowed it quietly.

Six.

I stood there staring at the door. There was no sound, no nothing. A tall young woman pressed her face to the door.

"It was nothing we're safe -" 

She spoke too soon. The door banged open with a foot, smoke bombs came hurtling in. I dropped my apple while coughing as I felt smoke invade my lungs. I looked around me and the whole place was covered in smoke. I felt Keith's hand leave mine. I quickly looked around for both Keith and my mom.

"Kathryn!!" my mom called.

"MOM?! KEITH?!" I screamed, looking for them. I felt an arm go around me, and a metal knife press up against my neck.

"Hello Kathryn," I heard a deep voice whisper in my ear. I shivered. I turned my head a little and I found deep blue eyes stare into me. I gulped. It was Hunter.