CHAPTER 13: SHARING SECRETS

CHAPTER 13 SHARING SECRETS

Nellie’s door creaked open, desperately in need of some mechanical attention. My eyes stared blankly at the steering wheel, but it was the image of the eyeless girl that I saw.  Why had she looked like that? That boy that had passed her in the hall didn’t even bat an eyelash at her which meant it wasn’t the same sort of thing as Mr. Kilsky. So she wasn’t an Awakened Dead. How was she connected to all this? Could she have been the Macabrey? Doubtful. I hadn’t read that part in the Book yet, but it seemed unlikely the Macabrey would be strolling down the halls of high school.

 I tried to shrug it off as I thought about my next move. I’d been suspended. Now what? Dad wouldn’t be home for hours, but it wasn’t exactly as if that mattered. A couple of conventional phrases, “How was your day? Fine. Good,” and we’d go our separate ways. What to do, what to do? I could get started on homework. Even that sounded too nerdy to me. I could read more of the Book. As fascinating as I found the information, the ink cloud was still fresh in my mind. I rested my head on Nellie’s velvet headrest. Man, suspension. You’d think no school would be a blast, but not when you’re alone. Alone. I wasn’t alone, I smiled. Dirk had been suspended, too.

Nellie’s engine chugged into life and I pulled out and away from the school.

It was a matter of fact that every townie knew where each other lived. I'd known where Dirk had lived for years, just like I could drive to Gemma's house blindfolded or even head to Staci's house if I had to. It was strange pulling into Dirk’s driveway. His black truck sat staring me down.

My heart was pounding. I sat at my steering wheel not quite sure what to do. I was paralyzed with questions. Do I get out? Should I stay in the car? Do I call him first?  Lexi, you guys did agree to meet at his place. Yeah, but that was after school. You can’t just show up. Reasonable Lexi argued with Cheerleader Lexi. You can do it, Lexi! You’re amazing! Goooo, Leeeeexiiii! Squee!  I sighed. Maybe Cheerleader Lexi was subbing for Loser Lexi.

Finally I got frustrated with myself and got out of the car and strode right up to his door before I could chicken out.

For some reason I got a really goofy grin as I walked up to the door. Maybe I was hoping for one of my shirtless-Dirk fantasies to come true. Or to make-out with Dirk. It didn’t really matter. Spending more time with Dirk, seeing him smile, smiling because of him. What could go wrong?

I couldn’t wait to see the look on his face.

Ding, dong, ring the bell. My heart galloped in my throat. Momentary panic surged from my stomach rushing away all my confidence. What had I been thinking? Showing up at Dirk’s house? Why was I ringing his doorbell? And was that mung-bean porridge I smelled. Did I get any on me?

The lock snicked open. Here goes.

Dirk opened the door. His eyebrows pinched together and the corner of his mouth cracked making a lop-sided grin. His next actions said it all.

“Lexi, what are you doing here?” he asked. He wrapped his arms around me and simultaneously pulled me into him and the house.

My heart quit racing and settled into a brisk staccato. I rested my head on his chest, his head resting gently on the top of my head. Hmm. Gotta’ love a tall boy.

Dirk wanted me. Me. Little Miss Lexi Black.“I got suspended.”

“Really?” Dirk pulled back and looked at me appraisingly, and what I thought might be a look of admiration crossed his face. His hand found mine and pulled me to the couch in the family room. He rested on the edge of the arm while I faced him.

“I’ve got nothing but time,” he said.

Dirk’s hand found mine and gently pulled to the couch in the family room. He rested on the edge of the arm while I faced him.