twelve

"A date you say?" My eyes perk up instantly.

Jasper eagerly nods at me. "Where to?"

"Staff café. It's work day so the only people that'll be there would be...the people working at the café."

He takes my hand into his and skips down the corridor. We grab sandwiches for dinner, never once releasing our hold on each other.

We take the packed dinner to my room this time, because of the table and chairs that I stole from the cafeteria to decorate.

"You're a real sloppy eater." Jasper mocks me. I touch my fingers to the side of my mouth. They come off stained with sauce.

"Eating is about getting food into your mouth...and I think I did that pretty well." I take another large bite off my sandwich, stuffing my face into it.

His laughter, rare but always beautiful, plays with my heart, starting it into a jog. I can't help but smile along with him, wiping away the sauce he complained about.

We end up by the window once more, my head in his lap as he strokes my hair. The red dot is close now, the size of the moon from earth.

"Do you really think that we'll make it?"

"Of course. We're so close. I'm sure we'll pull through." He lights a tiny flame of hope in my heart. Maybe...just maybe.

"Just imagine, life on that planet...Zandev, was it?"

"I bet it'd be just like on earth."

"With all the red? You're awfully hopeful and imaginative."

"Well, that's what you fall for, right?" Heat spreads across my cheeks.

"Flo, you're as red as that planet." Jasper leans closer to me, sending shivers across my skin as he brushes his lips across my ear. My heart's racing now, as he begins to nibble on my ear, his hands slowly exploring my skin.

I gently guide his head back to me, to look deep into his chocolate eyes. They gleam with a mixture of elation and mischief. As I reach up to kiss him, Jasper suddenly throws himself off me, sputtering and coughing. Was my breath bad?

"Jasper, are you alright?" The rhythm of worry replaces the romantic adrenaline.

"I...I can't...breathe..." He pants, tightly gripping his chest.

My eyes dart around in search of an answer. Definitely not a food allergy. Not sick...so not a medical allergy either. My heart plummets. I've seen this before.

"Jasper..." I try to keep my voice as stable as possible. "...you're infected."

Oh snap, oh no. Ooooohhh noooo. Well, this book didn't have the tragedy tag for nothing. But wait, maybe a cure's on the way!

Hope you're enjoying the story! Give it a star, and I'll see you in the next chapter :)

~Nanasabae