chapter 2 Poland

Chapter 2 Poland

I watch the landscape flash by as the train takes off; absentmindedly, I touch the dog tag around my neck that says Jason. Why does this boy haunt my dreams and every second of my day? I have pondered why is it that this German consumes my life? How could any good come from these people? When will blend into one another? Normally, I would try to make a companion, but a voice in the back of my head says "why?" when any day now she will be murdered. Poland seems so far away; I dread the day when I will have to get off this train. A baby's cry echoes through the train, but a mother hushes the little one before a guard comes to silence her forever. That cry of hunger triggers yet another memory that I have tried to suppress.

"Anne! Come along, we don't want to late for the show."

The Gypsies were always waiting for us, so I didn't know why Em was in a rush.

"Anne, my love, don't dawdle"

" Yes, Em, but why are we rushing?"

" Time waits for no one, my dear, so please hurry."

Through life I always thought my mother was just spending time with me, but now I know the truth. She knew all along that the Germans would massacre millions of Jews, so she taught me how to survive and have hope...... through Gypsy stories. My mother believed in me so now I must prove myself to her, wherever she may be.

"Wake up! And if you don't get up you will be shot!"

The harshness in his voice forces me out of my reverie. The women and girls shuffle off the train in a quick and quiet manner. We all know better than to revolt; revolting will only sentence you to death. The head of our sector approaches us. How could a man with such a pleasant face have no guilt about wars or murdering innocent people? Maybe he tells himself that we are enemies of Germany, not people with souls.

"Welcome to Sector Seven! All of you will work here until I receive further notice. As long as you work, you will receive food, shelter, protection, and clothes. My guards will show you what you must do and assign each of you to a bunk. You will only come to my office if you run out of material or if you are in trouble. You are dismissed from my presence".

We are led toward the barracks by an entourage of soldiers, each marching and keeping in step with the others. So this is our fate? To be here in this place...to die here, forgotten.

I hear crying from somewhere behind me. I turn to see a dark haired girl with big brown eyes staring up at a Nazi. He has his hand up ready to slap her.

"Get up!" he yells at her.

She keeps crying and huddles against his leg. No one really looks at her; they keep walking as if nothing is happening. I shove my way back through the crowd toward her. I grab her pale little hand.

"Come on," I murmur.

I look at the Nazi with hesitant eyes, expecting him to slap me. He just glares. I finally look at the girl as I pull her up and put my arm around her heaving little shoulders. I escort her the rest of the way until the soldiers stop. They command that we give them all of our jewelry and valuables. I do not have any jewelry except the dog tag, and I wished to keep that.