Chapter 18 The Mystery

     As I sit up late with Nachum in our bed, I think about my mother. 

“Are you awake?” my brother asks as he enters.

“Ja,” I answer.

He comes in and sits on the bed beside me, giving Nachum a good scratch.

“I can’t believe Em is still alive,” I say.

“Neither can I.”

“Abba seemed shocked enough,” I laugh.

“He sure did,” Aaron agrees. “What…what do you think about moving in with Em?”

I think for a good long minute. 

“I think that everything would be fine, but I still don’t know about Henry and his daughter. How would they react to us being there with them?” I ask.

“They seem nice enough,” he says. “I’m really thinking about going with her…”

I look at him, “If you go, I go too. I can’t afford to lose you again.”

He beams, “I was hoping you would say that, praying even.”

“We had better go to bed. Nachum and I have our first training session with Jason in the morning. The General insists upon it now that you and I have had time together.”

“Great, I’ll try and visit, but I’ll probably be practicing my newest magic trick.”

I laugh and shake my head.

The early morning sun beams through the window. I groan irritably.

“Rise and shine, Jason is waiting for you! You may wear slacks. I talked to Mother about it. She says she will permit it for your morning session with Jason. Chef has fixed yogurt and bread rolls for your breakfast. ”

“Thanks,” I say, getting up. 

I brush my teeth and wash my face before putting on slacks and a plain shirt. It feels good not to have to wear a dress for the morning. Nachum and I rush downstairs where Chef is feeding Ingel and Elvis, a golden Hovawart.

“Morning Chef,” I say, taking a seat in front of my breakfast. “Thanks very much, and for the dinner the other night too.”

“No problem, it was my welcoming gift to you and Nachum.”

He puts a plate of rolls and chicken down for Nachum and goes back into the kitchen. I get yogurt and Nachum gets chicken, how unfortunate for the human.

We finish our breakfast quickly and rush outside. It is warming as Spring comes around, and I am excited. Nachum and I race to find Jason. We find him not far from where we had before, except this time, he is standing in front of the hidden door as if in a distant memory. He turns as he hears us approaching.

“Good morning,” he greets.

“Hi…you okay? You seem kind of distracted.”

“I’m fine…I was just thinking.”

I look at the door and feel the need to know more; I don’t know whether it is curiosity or what.

“Do you know what’s behind here?”

He runs his fingers through his loose golden blonde curls in an awkward gesture before he answers, “They call it Explorer’s Cove. There’s supposed to be something amazing behind it. What, I can’t say…”

“Do you where there is a key?”

“No one knows. It’s supposed to be specially shaped, like a heart or something…”