chapter 3 Jace

Chapter 3 Jace

I don't know what to do. Run and be shot or stay and face the consequences. I decide to stay and face my consequences.....for Jenny's sake I will be strong. The man grabs me and takes me back to the camp where we are escorted to wait for some important man.

A sophisticated man of about 40 years strolls out of one of the barracks. I assume that he is the one in charge of us because something is different about this man.

"Yes, I am a Jew that is being persecuted and yes, I am a Jew that probably will never see my family and friends again, while you sir, eat nice food everyday."

"Well, well, well, what do we have here? A bold, little Jew that fears nothing. Do you know who I am?"

"A good for nothing dog that sits in his room all day while innocent people are forced into slavery−that is who you are."

The man smiles a little and chuckles. The woman inside of me stirs, but I will herself to stay calm. The man observes me for a few minutes and then thinks about something.

"Little girl, I will make a deal with you. You are brave enough to stand up to me and defy my rules, so I am willing to let you guard and take care of my German Shepherds."

I am hesitant about watching German Shepherds, but it is better than seeing that bunk where Jenny had died.

"I accept, but I will need supplies in order to take care of the dogs."

"Everything you need will be provided, go back to the barracks and report to my office in the morning."

I am afraid of going back to the barracks, but I do as I am told. That night I do not have to see the bunk where Jenny died. The other women occupy every bunk, so I sleep on the floor near the door. Morning comes quickly and the soldiers arouse everyone earlier than usual because all the work is either not done or not finished. I am thinking about what type of work I will be doing with the dogs when a soldier tells me I am summoned to the General's barrack. Before I can enter the General's barrack, a stout woman washes me from head to toe. I know I am dirty, but not as dirty as the other people. I am given a bag to put my new clothes, shoes, animal supplies, and keys in.

The General sits at an oak desk that is crowded with papers. On the wall are heads of animals such as deer, wolves, and moose. I wonder why a man would want to kill such beautiful beasts.

"I am here and ready to work for you."

"Ah, if it isn't my little Jew......how are you doing?"

"So far I am still alive even though I am condemned to this wretched place."

"Well, my dear, today you will no longer be condemned to this wretched place. You will receive an identity tag so you can be permitted in and out of the gate, and a soldier will give you instructions for taking care of the dogs. You are dismissed."

I don't know where to go, so I stay here hoping I will get more instructions. I wait and wait for what seems like an eternity. If I step out of the barrack, I will immediately be arrested or shot, so I decide to stand here and wait.

"Why are you still standing there? I told you that you are dismissed. Are you dumb or just deaf?"

"You never said where to go, and you never showed me where the exit is and which soldier is giving me the identity tag and which soldier is telling me about the dogs."

"Are you done?"

"Yes."

"The exit is the door you came in through and that woman will tell you about everything else. You are dismissed."

I don't know what to think about the General; he seems like a nice guy, but nice guys don't help persecute innocent people. To sum him up would be to say a man of very few words. That woman is waiting outside the door, probably eavesdropping on our conversation. That woman looks at me then opens her mouth as if she is going to say something. I guess she changed her mind. I'm glad that the woman never said a word. I don't want to make any new friends just to have them die.

I smell the dogs before I see them. Who would have known that the General keeps the dogs so close? Maybe these are the dogs that are used to corral my people into this wretched place.

"This is where you will report every morning. When you are done, I will come to get you and give you your identity tag and show you where you will live. The boy in there will tell you about your job, and then he will leave."

The woman's voice startles me from out of my reverie. Who would have known that such a powerful voice could come from a woman so small? The woman walks away so fast you would have thought that I still have lice. Maybe her family and friends are being enslaved too. I smooth down my dress then prepare myself for what is on the other side of the door. When I open the door, I nearly faint; the stench is so overpowering that it makes the woman's barrack smell good.

"Are you alright, miss? I know the smell is a little powerful, but one learns to get used to it."

I look up into green eyes and blonde hair. I gasp as the young man helps me to my feet. He looks similar to the boy I saw on that day a long time ago. His eyes seem to change to a forest green as he observes me; perhaps he recognizes me as well.

"You look familiar, have we met before?" I inquire.

"Well, you are surrounded by a lot of Nazi soldiers."

"What I mean to say is have we met before all of this started?"

"Maybe we went to school together."

"Yeah, maybe, so are you going to show me how to take care of the dogs?"

"I'll be brief and get straight to the point. Feed the dogs twice a day.... in the morning and at night. The dogs are bathed once every two weeks and brushed everyday. They get exercise by playing on an athletic field, and you have to make sure the sleeping area is clean."

"Well, I have my work cut out for me."

"I suppose so; I'm going to my post, but if you need anything, never hesitate to ask."

"Wait. I never asked you your name, I'm Anne."

"Jace."

He closes the door as he is telling me his name, Jace. I wonder if I have his dog tag.