Part 2/ Chapter 11 The Stranger

Chapter 11 The Stranger

Who could believe that a whole year has gone by? During this time, the war in reality and the war in my heart has raged on. I will always be dedicated to Ilona and the General for what they have done for me, but I still desire my freedom. Sometimes it’s hard to remember that nothing is for free and true love is not for Jews. Ilona still imparts her wisdom to me and sometimes Jace, but there is still a pain in my heart knowing that everyone I love will either die or leave another way. Everyday I think of Marie…. “Where the sky touches the earth.” How can the sky touch the earth? Jace still hasn’t matured, but the dogs that roam around the estate bring me a constant joy. Maybe one day when the war is over I will be able to make my own decisions instead of living in oppression. 

“I see you’re still day dreaming,” Ilona sighs. 

“When will I stop?” I sarcastically reply. 

“Hopefully, before Jesus comes back,” Ilona answers haughtily. “But today I did not come here to pester you. My son is coming back from that wretched place, and he wants to see you. Make sure you make yourself presentable.” 

I have learned to never argue with Ilona, the last time I was slapped. I learned quickly, she is in charge not the General. Normally, I would be taking care of the dogs but in reality all they need is food, water, and to be bathed every two weeks. Ilona says now that I live on the estate my chores will change drastically. I still sit and pretend to be ladylike with Ilona and I have a tutor that teaches me, but I also clean the house with the other servants. Everyone is nice, but I still have a deep, gaping hole in my chest that I know will never be filled. 

In my room, my and Nachum’s room, I start to change my clothes; and as I get ready for yet another interrogation, I notice in my peripheral vision a dark figure lurking amongst the hedges of the estate. Maybe it is the estate gardener, but my mind dismisses the thought because soon I hear the Crier broadcasting that the General is home. Hurriedly, I run down the stairs in order to make sure I beat the General to his private office. 

I sit and wait for the General, replaying the events of his arrival in my head. First, he will shake hands with the stable-boys, and then he will give the little children some candy. After that, his servants will crowd around him, patting him on the back and praising him with accolades and glory. The last thing he does is touch the threshold of the door before he walks in and speaks. 

“Well, if it isn’t my little Jew.” 

“Hallo, how was your trip, General,” I reply casually. 

“The same as always.” 

“Might I ask why you summoned me to your office?”

“Well, since you asked so nicely, I will tell you. In a few days, a mass of entrepreneurs will flood my home for a party.” 

“Why is this any of my concern?”

“To be honest with you, I just wanted someone to confide in and also before I forget, you will be playing the pieces of music you learned from your music teacher. You are dismissed.” 

I walk out of the office, aimless and lost. People, I haven’t been around real Germans in a long time. Germans are cruel, deceitful, and are not capable of loving. Wait, that’s not true.  Ilona, the General….Germans with a heart, that aren’t deceitful or cruel to me. I go to my music teacher in order to get the sheets of music that I will play. Afterwards, I decide to take a stroll through the estate gardens; walking will help me clear my head and get my thoughts together. Walking amongst these bushes and trees gives me peace and tranquility, especially the maze.