16. Lovesick & Friendship

"Why are you here?" I ask, clicking on the lamp.

"We need to talk." She whispers sternly.

"You sure? Or would you rather suck someone's face? Kaleb, specifically."

"Oh please, like you haven't done it before."

"That's none of your business."

"Whatever, look, Spencer, I'm sorry. I know it was wrong, and I know he's a danger to you. I just...seeing you with Hayes just made me a bit jealous so I went after Kaleb to make you mad. I regret it completely."

"Wait jealous?! Jealous for dating someone I like? You're fifteen, you shouldn't be jealous of a fourteen-year-old."

"That doesn't matter!"

"Well you didn't just hurt me. You hurt Nash. That matters." She stays silent for a minute.

"He just wasn't right."

"What do you mean he wasn't right? Girls would kill to be you!"

"He wanted more...I couldn't give him that. He's too sweet."

"If you mean sex by more, you should've just said so. Besides, you didn't have a problem feeling Kaleb up and down."

"Spencer!"

"It's true!" I yell. "Now get out or get to the point."

"Look, I did that thing in the bathroom out of anger. I was mad, I wanted Hayes."

"Well that's too bad. You got Nash, and you couldn't settle for it. So now, you have not only lost me, but Nash, Hayes, and most of the guys. Congratulations," I get ready to push her out but she's much stronger than me.

"Spencer, really. I'm sorry, sorry, sorry. I feel absolutely horrible. I don't care if I lost all the guys in the world. I don't want to lose my best friend."

"Hunter, do you even know why I don't like Kaleb so much?"

"No, you never told me..."

"That time he hit me in the hotel? That wasn't the only time. He almost tried to kill me once because he was hopped up on some super drugs, I don't know what it was."

"What? Why didn't you tell me?!"

"It was a secret for myself. Jack doesn't even know."

We stand in silence by the door. I could see her eyes glistening in the dim lamp light shining from the table by the window. I felt bad I really did. So I honestly couldn't bring myself to hate her.

"Look, Hunter. I'll forgive you," I see a smile creep upon the edges of her mouth. "But-" The smile drops."I don't know if our friendship can be repaired."

"I know, I understand."

"Okay," It was an awkward silence. "I'm sorry, again."

"I forgive you." I smile. Then we awkwardly hug.

++++

Later on around 3:00 A.M., I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned at the sight of Kaleb hitting everyone I love. I never thought that in a million years, I'd see him again.

I wonder if Hayes is awake, maybe he could calm me.

Right on cue, Hayes was face timing me. I answer almost immediately.

"Hayes!" I say excitedly.

"Oh my god, Spencer!" He smiles. "I miss you more than anything."

"I miss you too," I smile.