17 // robin & starfire

In the fourth grade, Stiles' father had told him that they would be moving to a new town because of a wonderful opportunity for him to be a sheriff instead of a well respected deputy. Stiles wasn't too broken up about it. When the boy was three years old he had informed his parents that his favorite color was pink and was wanted nothing else for his birthday than a pink sweater. The boy's mother, without a trace of sickness in her yet, hadn't seen any reason not to buy him a pink sweater, and the smile on her sons face was worth a few weird faces at Whole Foods.

All his life, since he was an infant, stiles absolutely hated pants, and when he was five, when he came down the dinner in one of his mothers skirts, hemmed with a rubber band at the side, Claudia and John had known immediately that their son was going to be different; but they didn't try to change him. If he was going to grow out of it, they wanted it to be his decision, not because of social qualms. In the third grade, when Stiles was eight and had decided he wanted to wear a black skirt with his Batman shirt to school, his parents received a very concerned phone call from a very passive aggressive teacher. The stilinski's gracefully told the school to fuck off, in not so many words, and allowed their son to continue to pick out his own clothes, though not actively encouraging nor discouraging it.

When Stiles' mother died, her last words to him were 'always stay true to yourself, no matter what anyone might say, I love you', the words hung in his mind with a sweet echo, reminding him that his mother was his first acceptor. John was a mess the first year and a half after Claudia died, she was always the fierce protector of both of them and without her, John didn't know how to protect Stiles from everything the world had in it. So he taught him how to fight; how to defend himself if he ever needed to. And it worked; in more ways than they thought it would. Stiles learned the art of self defense, and he grew an unbreakable bond with his dad.

So at ten years old, when stiles was waiting in the front office of his new school in a pink skirt and a white tee shirt, he wasn't nervous or scared at all; his father was sitting beside him.

"Alright Mr Stilinski, you're all set for your new class" the woman at the front desk said, offering an almost genuine smile. Stiles beamed up at her and gracefully took the map of the school into his hand.

"Thank you very much, ma'am" he said sweetly. Any trace of judgment melted away from the woman's face at the kind tone in this little boy's voice, her features fixing into an adoring one.

"Of course dear, hope you have a wonderful first day and come to me if you need anything at all" she said, patting his shoulder softly before turning back to her computer. Stiles looked up at his dad, who was smiling down at him, he was dressed head to toe in his new sheriff uniform, his badge sparkling with the sunlight that was streaming into the office.

"You want me to walk you to your new class?" John asked, reaching for the map; but stiles pulled it away with a reassuring smile.

"I got this, dad. I'm okay" Stiles reassures. John sighed, running his fingers through his sons soft brown hair with a nervous smile.

"I love you, kid" the Sheriff leaned down and pressed a kiss to Stiles' forehead, closing his eyes for a brief moment before stepping away.

"I love you too, dad" Stiles nodded once before he was turning around and starting down the hall. His white Chuck Taylor's clapped against be linoleum as he navigated his way through the school until he was looking at room 23. Without an ounce of hesitation, the boy opened the door and stepped into the classroom. The teacher stood up from her desk at the sight of him, the entire room growing quiet; fingers stopped on pencils, feet stopped tapping, voices stopped chattering. Stiles smiled, looking up at the teacher with a sparkle in his eyes.