Chapter Seven: Bad Obsession

The Darkest Road
Chapter Seven: Bad Obsession

"I used to be wasted
Always tried to take it
Take it down into my vein
I call the doctor
He's just another
He said I'm sick in the brain
He said you ain't special
So who you foolin'
Don't try ta give me a line
But I can't stop thinkin' 'bout
doin' it one more time
But I already left you
And you're better off left behind."

"Hey... you guys all right?" asked Sam, meeting up with Dean and I inside the bar later. No one else was there. Sam slid into the seat in front of me and looked over my figure with worried eyes, "Are you sure you're okay?"

     I gave a half smile, "I'm fine, Sam."

     "I think I know what's going on." said Dean, pulling out a folded towel and setting it on the table; I eyed the cloth warily. He had decided to keep the Dracula's ear after tearing it off. It was a little morbid, even for Dean.

     "Yeah?" asked Sam,

     "Part of it at least." Dean opened the towel to reveal a still slightly-bloody Dracula ear. It still had bits of what looked like slime over the torn ends of it.

     "Uh, the ear part?" Sam gave a small little point at it.

     "Ripped it off of dracula's head. Touch it. Feel familiar to you?"

     "Oh no, don't--" my words were useless because Sam unflinchingly reached down and touched it anyway. "Okay, cool, you touched it."

     "Oh, man." understanding dawned on the younger Winchester's face as he retracted from the skin.

     "The skin of a shapeshifter, just like St. Louis and Milwaukee. Of course this one's all holding buckets of crazy. Oh, and, uh..." Dean pulled out medallion from a pocket inside of his jacket, "I pulled this off during the fight." He handed it to Sam, "Look at the label on the ribbon."

     Sam stared at it before sighing, "It's a costume rental."

     "All three monsters—the dracula, wolf man, and the mummy—all the same critter, which means we need to catch this freak before he 'creature from the black lagoons' somebody."

     "Well wouldn't that be a fun one to investigate?" I said facetiously.

     Dean downed some liquor from a tall glass.

     "Okay, so, the stagecraft, the costuming—It's like he's trying to reenact his favorite monster-movie moments, right down to the bloody murders." Sam began voicing the theories in his head, making sense of the once senseless situation.

     "He called me Mina." I said stonily, "Just like my fake ID. How convenient that that was the ID I just had to use on this case."

     "And he called me Mr. Harker." Dean added.

     Sam ruffled a little at Dean's words, "Jonathan Harker? They're characters from the movies and the novels—" He gave a small smirk and shook his head, unconvinced and a little confused for a moment. He looked over at me. "Mina, dracula's intended bride," He turned his gaze to Dean then, "And Harker, the fiancé who stands in the way." He gave his full attention to me once more, "Seems like he's fixating on you, like he sees you as his bride."

     ["Cheers to that, man."]

     "This is just awesome." I groaned, putting my head down on my arms, "I need another drink. Or an actual husband. Maybe that would stop all the creeps."