❊ Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Fɪғᴛʏ﹣Oɴᴇ ❊

Two weeks after I walked for the first time, I was walking around in short bursts without any help. Tami called one more time since the last time we spoke only to set up a time for me to go up to Chicago to help with the interrogation. Enzo still wasn't completely okay with me going, but he relented after I asked him about ten more times.

He thought it would put me back to the person I was in that cellar. I thought it would give me closure.

He held a duffel bag over his shoulder and eyed the front door. Supposedly, his father was going to be picking us up in his helicopter to bring us. It was going to take about an hour and fifteen minutes to fly from Indianapolis to Chicago and I wasn't sure how Enzo would be with his dad for that long.

Thomas wrapped me in a gentle hug. "You don't have to do this, Eva."

I knew I shouldn't go and see Maverick. In the two months since I had woken up from my coma, I had undergone hours upon hours of physical and mental therapy. I got off of my tube feed and I was eating normal food again. Seeing Maverick could bring me back, I knew that. But if me helping with his interrogation meant that he would be in a prison cell for a long time, then I would do it.

Sophia came out of the dining room and smiled sadly at me. She was supposed to have gone back to her life, but she told Enzo that she'd rather just work for him. Late at night, when Enzo hadn't been in my room, she told me that she didn't have much to go back to. Even with the money that he paid her, she'd be going to an empty apartment to live alone.

"I know." I pulled away from Thomas and gave him a smile. "But I'll be fine. We'll be back in no time and I can finally start helping out around the house."

"Oh, no you don't!" Sophia pursed her lips when she got close. "You're still weak. I have no problems doing it on my own."

I pursed my lips, but didn't argue. It was a losing battle.

The sound of a helicopter met my ears and I turned my attention to Enzo. He didn't seem too happy about the fact that his dad was the one flying us. Which, I guess I understood. I wasn't too thrilled either, seeing as though every time that I met with him, he was nothing but rude and hateful.

"Ready," he asked, glancing at me from the corner of his eye. It was obvious that he was worried for me, which I was thankful for. But in the end, it was for me. I was only going to see Maverick because I wanted him to suffer.

I grabbed his hand in mine and nodded once, signaling that I was as ready as I'd ever be. I turned and waved at Sophia and Thomas with a promise that I'd be back. But that time, I knew for a fact that I would be coming back. Before, when Maverick took me, I wasn't sure. I didn't think I'd live through it. And I wouldn't have if it weren't for Enzo.

The air was cold, the icy wind hitting my body like a train. Even through my thick jacket and sweatpants, the air seemed to bite at me. The wind coming from the helicopter blades blew snow into my face, making me flinch back. I hated the cold. I always have.

Nico jumped out of the helicopter and held out his hand to help me. I stared at it, then him with my eyebrows furrowed. Unless he was trying to trick me, why would he act like he was going to help me in?

I pulled myself into the helicopter, ignoring his offer to help, if that was what it even was. I sat down in one of the seats towards the back and buckled myself in, keeping my eyes on my hands as I worked. It felt good to sit down, even though I had only been standing for maybe fifteen minutes.

Enzo sat in the co-pilot's seat and slid a headset over his ears before handing me one. I slid it on, the sound of the helicopter blades dimming into a dull thump.