ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

As Bramblestar opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was Pumpkinpatch. Blinking her eyes a few times, the leader looked around at the landscape around her. The stars that laid in the grass and the hills beyond made Bramblestar snap her eyes back to Pumpkinpatch in panic.

"You're losing a life," Pumpkinpatch told her.

Oh. Bramblestar thought as she let herself calm down. 

"What happened?" Bramblestar asked, her amber eyes moving past as she could see some more StarClan warriors approach. 

"Blood loss," Pumpkinpatch told her. "Mintbreeze had misjudged the number of kits."

Bramblestar remembered Mintbreeze saying something about a fourth and fifth kit. The leader didn't know what to think about losing a life so early in her leadership. 

"I understand," Bramblestar looked back at the ginger cat.

Pumpkinpatch seemed much brighter and livelier than she was in PineClan. Bramblestar didn't know the warrior that much, but Bramblestar could notice the details that the warrior had kept from her life. A scar that sat at the base of her shoulder, ruffled, messy fur and dark green eyes. Bramblestar then turned her attention to the other cats that came to visit. She recognized Nutstar, the very first leader of PineClan and the cat that gave her the life of Passion. The long furred, nut-colored tom dipped his head before he looked over at Ryewillow.

Bramblestar couldn't help but narrow her eyes at the ginger warrior. The fire still felt real inside and Ryewillow abandoning her during it just made her not trust the StarClan warrior.

"We are sending you back," Ryewillow spoke, "StarClan has something to show you. Look carefully."

Bramblestar barely had a moment to open her mouth before she suddenly found herself in a dark cave. She blinked a couple of times before she attempted to stand.

"Stay still!" 

Turning, Bramblestar could see Mintbreeze's angry green eyes staring at her. Not putting much thought into why Bramblestar was suddenly greeted with Pikemouse giving her worried kisses.

"I'm so glad!" He gasped. "You've come back!"

Bramblestar slowly put the pieces together. Oh. I've died. She thought as she settled back into the nest. Then the visit to StarClan was real. 

"Look!" Pikemouse was quick to draw Bramblestar's attention to the bundles of fur next to her belly.

Her heart swelled as she was finally able to see her children. 

"What shall we name them?" Pikemouse questioned as he looked at Bramblestar.

The leader then noticed the bright mottled she-kit. She remembered seeing her first. My first daughter...

"Cherrykit."

The name came so sudden, but Bramblestar didn't question it. The she-kit's name would suit her. Now Bramblestar was looking at an odd colored tom kit. He was an odd color of brown and had a darker face like Bramblestar.

"I'll name her," Pikemouse was gesturing to a light russet colored she-cat, "Dasiykit."

"Dasiykit..." Bramblestar breathed at the name. It's perfect. 

The leader then looked at another russet-colored she-cat. "I'll name her, Nettlekit."

Pikemouse purred. "I like it. The I'll name the little brown tom as Ashenkit."

Bramblestar nodded as her amber eyes landed on the last kit, a tom who's pelt looked just like his father's.

"Bearkit," She mewed as she wrapped her fluffy tail over the kits. "Oh, Pikemouse."

Pikemouse then leaned in to rest his chin on her head. Bramblestar's heart fluttered as she looked down at the five kits. Though the longer she looked, the more she was brought back to the fire. The five cats that stared at her through the wild flames before pouncing on her. Bramblestar blinked as she stared at the kits with wide eyes.

Was this want Ryewillow meant? Panic flooded through her. My kits will be the cats in the fire? 

Bramblestar gently shook her head as she shook the vision from her head.

I won't let them become that. She thought as she curled around her kits.

I will protect them...