Chapter 16

"Are you trying to get yourself killed?" someone hissed from the tiny alleyway next to the shop.

Daryl emerged from the alley slightly and pointed to the spot next to him, signalling me to make my way over to him and do so quickly and, most importantly, unseen.

I let out an audible sigh of relief when I saw the man and silently thanked my lucky stars that I didn't have Daryl's dead body on my hands.

"Shit, Scout, are you gonna be completely stupid whenever we come on a run." he whispered harshly at me after I had silently jogged over to him and I glared at him.

"I thought that was your blood! I was trying to see if you were in there!" I whispered back through my clenched jaw. He stared at me as if I was stupid and rolled his eyes then grabbed my arm and pulled me firmly backwards so we were concealed in the alleyway.

"I ain't just gonna walk into a random store without scanning it first, am I?" he asked in a mocking tone and I growled.

"Will you quit talking to me like I'm some stupid kid!? What the hell is up with you today?"

"YOU!" he growled. "You nearly got killed in there!" he took a step back and dropped his crossbow next to his bag full of supplies he had already dropped next to the dumpster that I presume belonged to the clothes shop before. "Then you just stand in the middle of a street, in full view, when there's another group in that store! They sound fucking dangerous and one of them KILLED another over a stupid argument."

I listened as he said all of this and gaped at him after he had finished.

"I didn't go into that store with the aim of getting killed, did I? I didn't see the walker! I'm sorry if I scared you or some shit but then again, why the hell would you care?  I..." I trailed off as he turned his back on me and stuck his head out of our hiding spot and looked into the street. His face didn't show any prominent emotions and I rolled my eyes at his stubbornness to not show any emotions that might make him look weak.

"What are we gonna do then?" I started after a few seconds of silence. "We can't stay here all day! The group will be wondering where we are."

Again, Daryl ignored me and carried on surveying his surroundings. He stayed in this position for several more moments before turning back around to me and shaking his head.

"Ain't worth waiting for them to get the hell out of there. We should..."

Before Daryl could finish his sentence, the shrill sound of a bell sounded and I physically jumped and backed further away from the entrance of the alley. Daryl shrunk back into the shadows of the walls as 2 pairs of footsteps sounded. They sounded like they were coming towards the alley. I quickly backed up against the wall next to the dumpster.

"You wanna say that to me again, boy?" a harsh voice belonging to a man sounded and I flinched at the tone. It was a cold and hard and had the tang of an Irish accent in it. I considered where I had heard it from before but stopped trying after a couple of seconds. "Wanna end up like pretty boy in there?"

I heard the sound of him spitting on the side walk and I scrunched my nose up.

"You're a stupid son of a bitch. You always was! I was just saying what everyone was fucking thinking!"

I froze.

"You have 3 fucking seconds to..."

"To what? Fucking apologize for telling the damn truth? Screw that bullshit, man."

The sound of a fist hitting skin sounded then the sound of a body hitting the ground.

"One more word. I dare you to say one more fucking word. See what you get." the first voice challenged bluntly and I held my breath to see if the other person would talk.