8.4

Beau looks up from the dancing flames in the fireplace as Matt tightens his grip around her waist and presses a kiss to the side of her head. They're lying in a nest of cushions and blankets on the floor, his parents and sisters sprawled around on various pieces of furniture, relaxing and watching the TV which is on a low volume. Matt is leaning back against a mountain of cushions and pillows he has built behind himself to lie back on, and Beau is between his legs, leaning back against him with his arms around her waist.

She tips her head back at an angle to see his face, closing her eyes as he presses another kiss to her forehead this time. She feels one of his hands move from her waist before it cups her face, his thumb tracing gentle circles against her cheek.

"You okay?" His voice is quiet, though she notices the slightly rough edge to it which indicates that he's tired.

She flicks her eyes up to meet his gaze before shooting him a slight smile. "Yeah - just thinking." He stays quiet so she speaks again, wrapping the fingers of one of her hands around his wrist. "It's nice; being able to just lay here surrounded by family members and know that no one expects us to do or be anything. We're just Beau and Matt here - not a semi-popular Instagrammer and an actor."

She turns around, lying chest to chest with him to get a better look at his face without straining her neck. What she finds is understanding shining through his eyes as his arms wrap around her again, one low on her back and the other higher up with his hand cupping the back of her neck.

"Even when we're back in LA or hanging around in Toronto or wherever our travels take us next, we're still just Beau and Matt. Maybe other people read more into that, but not those who matter and our friends."

Beau smiles, tucking her face into the space under his chin. "I know, Matt. I'm just having one of those sentimental moments."

She feels him huff in amusement, repositioning himself so they can both lie comfortably in this position. "Just making sure you remember that that feeling stretches further than right here in New York."

She plays with his hair for a while, thinking over what he just said before deciding to leave all the deep thinking for another time. She bites back a smile as she realises that Matt has fallen asleep while she was distracted thinking over his words.

She briefly thinks about waking him up and making him go to bed instead but decides to leave him for now. With the number of pillows, blankets and cushions they've managed to amass on the floor with them, it's doubtful that there's going to be any cases of sore necks and backs if they ended up sleeping down here.