Chapter 6

Wolfkit was five moons now. He was going to be an apprentice soon! Hazelnose had cheered up since discovering about Goosetail. She was too excited for Wolfkit to become an apprentice. Sparrowpaw and Hazelpaw had already been looking for bedding for him. Only one more moon and Wolfkit could leave the Clan when he wanted and hunt for the Clan. He'd make Hazelnose proud, he didn't care about Goosetail anymore. He wanted to dig his own grave, fine. Wolfkit was going be there for Hazelnose and he was going to be a great apprentice for both him, Foxkit, and his siblings that he never met.

Bramblepaw and Berrypaw went off to have their assessment excitingly. Sparrowpaw and Hazelpaw were getting excited for when their assessment to come, but their mentors didn't seem to think they were ready to be warriors. Wolfkit would overhear them talking about how Sparrowpaw was too impatient and Hazelpaw was too slow.

The green leaf heat was unbearable. The elder's needed more water before they passed out. Halfmoon and Lightpaw had to give Lambpelt some herbs so she could give more milk to Poundkit and Meadowkit. They were nearing the age of not needing it anymore, but they still needed a little. They survived on fresh-kill for a while, but then Meadowkit complained about her teeth aching.

Hopefully, when Wolfkit was made an apprentice he'd be able to bring enough prey and water for the whole Clan. Adderstar set up more patrols and Twitchwhisker tried getting Goosetail to stay in camp and do his job, but, of course, the traitorous tom never listened.

As Wolfkit went to get fresh-kill for him and Hazelnose, a fire started next to the medicine den and the warriors had to bolt to the lake and back with moss of water. They squeezed the water on the fire so they could put the flames out. Wolfkit wanted to help, but Glaregaze forced him back to the nursery and watch Hazelnose, Lambpelt, and the other kits.

Halfmoon and Lightpaw watched the fire with wide serious eyes. Was it a sign from StarClan? Would it be about him and his prophecy? What if they began pushing him to be a great leader at such a young age? He still needed training from a mentor, be a warrior, get an apprentice, and get, not just ThunderClan, but all the Clans to know and like him!

Finally, they put the fire out and the Clan went on with their normal duties. Sparrowpaw and Bramblepaw were getting rid of the black, burnt branches. Hazelpaw and Berrypaw went out to get some pieces of sticks and feathers to fix the part of the medicine den that was hit by the flames. Halfmoon took Lightpaw to see Adderstar while their den was being fixed.

While Wolfkit and Hazelnose finished off they're vole, Lightpaw walked in and asked for Wolfkit. Wolfkit looked to Hazelnose before following the medicine cat apprentice. She should receive her warrior name at some point. She had worked along side Halfmoon for moons.

When they got to Adderstar's den Halfmoon looked at him through narrowed eyes as she lied on the floor of the den. Adderstar had his tail wrapped around his paws, his amber eyes serious.

"What's wrong?" Wolfkit asked.

"Wolfkit, you're going to be an apprentice soon," Adderstar started, "we were just wondering if you've had any... Strange dreams?"

Wolfkit shook. How was he supposed to answer? He didn't want to be treated like a cat who could walk with StarClan yet. He wanted be an apprentice, warrior, mentor, and anything that made a great warrior. He then thought of parenthood. Would he ever care for a she-cat that much to have kits with her and spend the rest of his seasons with her?

"Uh... Just... Two..." Wolfkit couldn't lie to his leader and medicine cats. "One was of a badger... Her name was Midnight. She took me to see the Gathering and the other one was when Foxkit came and played with me in StarClan after some cats tried getting me to grow up too fast."

"I see," Adderstar mewed.

"I agree with Foxkit," Lightpaw spoke, "he's much too young to be treated like a warrior now! He should be a kit for one moon and an apprentice for a while."

"You know he doesn't have much time to be wise enough for what comes!" Halfmoon shot.

"What? What's going to happen?" Wolfkit asked, his fur picked up as sympathy showed in the older cats eyes. What would happen to him where he'd have to be wise enough to understand.

"Wolfkit, cats... Pass on to StarClan... Sometimes before it's even time..." Adderstar explained. "You just have to understand, that some cats die for honor, freedom, and love. Many warriors are lost on leader's path to power."

"But I don't want to be a leader!" Wolfkit almost wailed. "I'm still just a kit and even when I do become an apprentice, I still don't want to be separated from Hazelnose, she's suffered enough alone, so this time I'm going to be there for her!"

This time the cats looked to one another with sorrow at the mention of Hazelnose. Wolfkit shivered. What was wrong? What was going to happen to Hazelnose? He bolted out the den and went straight back to Hazelnose. He wasn't going to let anything take his mother away. They already took a father and his siblings, what more could StarClan take?

That night Wolfkit woke to the sound of shrieking cats. A horrible smell filled Wolfkit's mouth. He looked to see Lambpelt and the kits were gone. Hazelnose stood at the entrance as she spoke urgently to Bramblepaw. She then went back in and pushed Wolfkit out the nursery. Fire blazed all over the Clan. Cats were running away from the red and orange flames.

Adderstar bolted to the middle of the Clan and jumped on the fresh-kill pile. "Get to WindClan territory!" he ordered. "We'll seek shelter on the other side of the stream! Apprentices and warriors help the elders and kits!" the reddish brown leader then pelted off, helping Halfmoon and Lightpaw carry herbs away. Sparrowpaw and Berrypaw were helping Earthfoot and Sunningpelt. Bellowvoice carried Meadowkit while Lambpelt took Poundkit.

Wolfkit saw Glaregaze running toward him and Hazelnose, but a branch fell in front of him. Hazelnose yowled for him to get out with the Clan and that she had Wolfkit. She shoved the silver kit away from the fire and began bolting to the gorse tunnel. Fire blazed across the entrance. Hazelnose and Wolfkit looked urgently around the camp for another way out.

"This way Wolfkit!" Hazelnose ran off, her kit immediately following. They continued running to some wood, but slid to a stop as a branch fell in front of them. "No!" Hazelnose wailed. Looking around, Hazelnose took Wolfkit by the scruff and ran off to anywhere that the fire was weakest.

Just when Wolfkit thought there was no way out, Glaregaze appeared from some fire. He called for Hazelnose, who quickly began running toward him, but the tom let out a horrified cry as a tree branch fell down. Hazelnose threw Wolfkit away to Glaregaze as the branch landed down on her.

"Hazelnose!" Wolfkit shrieked, turning to see his mother pinned down by the flaming chunk of wood. Glaregaze was running as fast as he could to reach them.

"Run, go, please, run!" Hazelnose wailed.

Just as Glaregaze reached Wolfkit, flames blazed toward them and consumed Hazelnose. A painful, terrible, shriek could be heard through the fire.

"Hazelnose!" Wolfkit yowled.