Chapter 3

Lifting the lid of the coffin, I sat up and waited for the gears of my mind to kick in. Fuzzy thoughts lingered, in my hungover state, I couldn't make much sense of them. I looked around the room, bleary-eyed and wishing that I could sleep for a little bit longer. There was no chance of that, the coffins were built with alarm clock sensors. The entire base of it was lined with padding, underneath were the sensors that connected to the alarm. Unless I got out of the coffin, the alarm would keep going. I hated these coffins.

In this room, there were a few people getting up. Both men and women resided in the one room which I found surprising. I figured they didn't have the space for anything more than this. Fenwick's words last night resonated loudly. They expected everyone to behave like responsible adults.

With a defeated huff, I got out of the coffin and enjoyed the bliss of silence. Looking around, I wondered where Nisha slept. I don't recall seeing her come in after me this morning. Then again, I don't recall seeing her after the fifth drink she'd bought me. It was surprising that I'd managed to get back here and undress.

Taking my things out of the locker, I made my way into the bathroom and found the first sign of separation in this area. One large sign that divided the men and the women with another sign under it. The threat was clear. If you went into the wrong side, it was instant removal and to ensure that they knew, there were cameras mounted to the ceiling. I looked up at the one on the women's side of the entry, it was pointed at the small area. What lay beyond the hidden opening was a mystery and one that I knew I would never know.

Turning to the left, I entered the men's side of the bathroom. The entry was a u-shaped path that ensured no one could see into the area from the main door. I couldn't say that this was my favorite part of the army but standing under the water was relaxing. Life here seemed rather laid back, I couldn't detect the usual stress that came with being on base. Of course, I knew that the lookout was technically not a part of the base but it didn't mean that there wouldn't be something stressful. Maybe I was yet to find out what it was.

When I was dressed and ready to brave the cold, I stepped out into the corridor. The sun was lingering at the horizon, now just beams of light that lit up the landscape. Making my way along the corridor, I turned to see the punch clock and of course, my card. Figuring it was the thing to do, I took it and punched in.

As I put the card back into the rack and ensured it wouldn't fly away, my head turned to the beauty that had emerged from one of the offices. She was talking to Fenwick, he nodded and walked into the office that Nisha had just emerged from. Taking the opportunity of being alone, I quickly made my way to the end of the corridor.

"Hey, didn't see you leave this morning."

Nisha turned with her sultry smile, her eyes slid over my body easily.

"Such a shame."

"You really shouldn't be in the o club."

She chuckled and said nothing.

"I guess no one cares, like you said."

Which made me wonder why they had rules if they weren't going to follow them.

"Maybe you could show me other places to hang out."

Her head tilted, the smirk still strong.

"Captain," She said softly, almost mockingly. "Is that your attempt at asking me out on a date?"

"Oliver is fine and yeah, I guess so."

Nisha said nothing.

"Unless you're with someone. Don't want to go making enemies on my first day, right?"