Chapter 10

I woke in darkness, feeling like I'd been hit with a plank of wood. Lifting off my stomach, I groaned and hit something hard behind me. I'd fallen asleep in my coffin, face first, something that I have never done, regardless of how drunk I was.

Except, I didn't think that I had gotten drunk this morning. I'd had the one drink with Sandy and remembered nothing beyond it.

"Well, good afternoon," A soft voice purred in the darkness.

I yelped, sitting up. This time the lid of the coffin lifted and I saw Sandy laying on the bottom of the coffin. We were dressed but still, this wasn't good. What happened? Did I go and see Nisha after the one drink? I have no memory beyond it.

Frowning, I looked around at the silent room.

"What happened this morning?"

"Well, you had a blood bomb which I said that you probably shouldn't but hey, what do I know? I'm not the doctor here or even a nurse for that matter."

"Blood bomb?"

"Yeah, they're pretty potent," Sandy said with a chuckle. "You were in such a good mood after that. Took a lot to get you back here. I said to get into your coffin, we kind of fell in. Nothing happened, if you're wondering."

All I could think of was Nisha. Stepping out of the coffin, I pulled my shoes on, trying not to fall over.

"I have to do something."

My head was thumping hard but I didn't care. Grabbing my jacket, I pulled it on as I pushed through the door, ignoring Sandy when she called out to me. James caught sight of me, he was on the phone thankfully. He gestured for me to come over, I pretended that I didn't understand and waved before turning to the stairs. Again, I could hear my name being called. I ran.

Reaching Nisha's door, I knocked hard. I didn't have time to wait, James could be hot on my tail and I needed to get through the door before he made it to the bottom of the stairs. Getting no response, I knocked harder.

"Nisha," I called out.

Nothing. I knocked again. To my complete annoyance, I could hear James calling out to me as he thumped his way down the stairs.

"Captain Beaumont,"

"In a minute," I grumbled, knocking on the door again. "Nisha!"

Feeling the arm of my jacket being pulled, I turned to James.

"Oliver, she's gone."

I frowned, unable to understand him.

"Urgent business called her away. I have a letter for you."

Reaching into the inner pocket of his jacket, James pulled out a sealed envelope with my name on it, written in beautiful cursive.

"Where did she go?"

He shrugged.

"Home, I guess. I don't know. All she said was that her replacement would be here at dusk and to give this to you."

With a friendly slap on my shoulder, James turned back to the stairs. I felt stunned, silence hitting me hard as I looked at the envelope in my hands. When James was out of sight, I pushed on the door. It wouldn't open so I slammed my shoulder into it and it shuddered, squeaking as it opened.

The room was dark, I could feel the emptiness from the doorway. Turning on the lights, I walked into the living room and closed the door. All of the things that made this room personal and very Nisha, they were gone. Wandering into the first of two bedrooms, I saw nothing but a wardrobe and a dressing table. She must have brought her own coffin, I guess.