Chapter 8

Two months later...

Nicole's POV:

"Thank you." Carina said as I zipped her dress before going to the movie premiere.

"Why are you going anywhere? You know Diane is going to be there, right?"

"Oh, Carina, don't act so stupid. You pushed my shift on purpose so I have to go with you to Diane's movie premiere."

"Oops..." And here I thought Diane was the devil when I met her. I remember those times. They were so much simpler. Now we're separated and not even talking. I can't say Diane hasn't tried talking. I just ignored it every time.

It breaks my heart because of my kids. They have to go here and there constantly. Until we get a real divorce and settle their custody agreement.

Carina thought that now that I'm 'single' she could maybe, somehow, get together with me. I just can't do it. I still love Diane. Despite all the things I said, about her not existing in my life anymore, I love her so very much.

These news were the new obsession for the tabloids. They just wouldn't leave us alone. I know it works like that, they have to feed on something. I just hoped it would never be us. We had everything.

"Oh, unclench. I think she got the note to stop talking to you. She's not even expecting you there."

"That's what makes it worse. She'll think I'm there for her."

"Well you are there for her."

"No." Yes.

"You have to try more if you think to succeed at lying to me." Carina got unimaginably close and took my chin between her thumb and index finger. "I want you, Nicole. And I'm not kidding about this. I know you."

"Well, if it's okay with you, could you somehow stop hitting on me, it's making me more and more uncomfortable." She smiled and stepped away from me. Grabbing her purse, Carina opened the door and we finally got out.

It was time to face Diane after more than a month of the separation. Hell, it was almost two months. God, I miss her.

The scenario of protecting a gorgeous actress on the red carpet was all too familiar. It made me feel nostalgic. I really miss Diane. But she broke me, she cheated. She didn't have a reason to.

Maybe she did. I never gave her the chance of explaining. But now is not the time to think about that. I need to keep my head in the game if I want Carina to be safe.

The photographers kept yelling Carina, Carina! Over here! And then they realised someone esle showing up. Diane, who are you wearing?... Where is your wife?

How come they didn't recognize me. Oh maybe it's because you are wearing sunglasses and hiding behind Carina Rye. Of course they knew I was her bodyguard, they just didn't pay attention.

In that moment, I met a familiar pair of green eyes. They were so much lighter now. I couldn't see, but I'm guessing yellow was the color now. They would change depending on the weather or outfit. One thing I knew, Diane's eyes were always beautiful.

She smiled after a while of looking at me and I realised I was smiling too. Saying I wasn't over the roof when I saw the love of my life would be a lie. I just couldn't bring myself to talk to her. Diane ripped my heart and hurt me.

Carina entered the theater and I followed, of course. I turned one last time to take a look at my soon-to-be ex-wife. I mouthed an 'I love you' and turned around. I hate that it had to turn out like this.