Chapter One

Chapter One.

~Isabella's POV~

Great. I just moved to my aunt's house, and school starts tomorrow morning. Can this get any worse? I sighed and leaned against my bedroom wall.

It was a dark, oak wall, which smelled faintly like strawberries. This wasn't home. I'll be living with my aunt and uncle for the next five years, highlight FIVE, or even more!

Why did my mom have to leave me all alone in this world? I was perfectly happy living in my foster parents' home in Misty Falls. I had friends, went to parties.. Now, it was just.. Gone.

~Flashback~

"Mommy! Mommy! Guess what I found by the lake!" I ran up the grass and tripped over my own feet, landing softly on my mother's lap.

"Oh sweetie! What did you find, dear?" My mother had deep auburn hair that fell in waves around her shoulders. She had bright green eyes, that showed her smile. She was looking at me, then. "But mommy! You have to see!" I whined. She stroked my dark hair, and asked my to open up my hands. I did, but then the strong wind blew it away.

"Oh no! Mommy! The air took my thing away!" I started crying, and sobbed into her chest. She murmered and said I could go look for it.

So I skipped away after saying "Really, mommy? All by myself?" What I had in my hands was actually a leaf, but it was like no other I've seen before. It had many shades of purple and gold, highly unusual. So my four-year-old self was dead set on finding that leaf.

I found the leaf by a huge oak tree, caught in some brambles on the ground. I quickly snatched it away and skipped back to the meadow where my mother was sitting. Should have been sitting.

She was gone.

I snapped back into reality, and realised I had zoned out. My aunt's voice drifted up from the first

floor, calling me down to lunch.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate my aunt and uncle. They were sweet and gentle.

But they just weren't my parents. My mom's disappearance wasn't twice as bad as my dad's death. But I could never bring that up again.

My father's death wasn't an ordinary one. He was brutally murdered, and I had to stand there watching.