TWO (Ruby POV)

"Finally at home... Hello, Ru."

After several hours filming, several hours waiting at the airport, several hours flying and several hours stuck in a traffic jam... I let my bags drop close to the entrance door and I collapse on the nearest couch. Charlie and Ru jump next to me and start licking my face while Chance drags her furry butt from his bed in front of the fireplace in order to get closer. I get up slowly so I can take her in my arms and let her join the 'welcome your mistress home licking her face' festival on the floor.

"I'm so happy to see you guys... you're the best pack I could wish." I sigh while dragging my suitcases again through the living room and the corridor towards my bedroom where I leave them next to the bed and I collapse again, this time on white sheets and grey pillows. I'm exhausted but luckily I have some free days ahead and I'm planning to go hiking and also read a couple of books, eat tacos and visit my friends. My happy future plans give enough energy to get up, take a quick shower and put on some clean and comfortable clothes... I'll unpack tomorrow. I walk back to the kitchen and open the fridge to check what's inside... Not much since I've been away for a week... I'd better order a vegan burger and I'll go to the supermarket tomorrow or shop online my groceries... I could dodge paparazzi that way. I take my phone and call the restaurant before sliding the wide door that leads to the backyard and swimming pool in order to let my doggies stretch their legs... and it's when I smell it.

There's a wolf in my property...

My muscles get tensed while I wait, paralyzed but on alert, for him to show his face, I don't need to turn on the exterior lights since I can see as well in the dark. Maybe I'm not very happy with my genetic heritage but I'm aware that my sharp senses have their advantages. The scent seems familiar to me but it's not one I'm used to smell every day, I'm pretty sure that I've smelled before but I can't pinpoint where and when. My dogs start barking like crazy and Charlie tries to get closer to the intruder but he stops when I hush him, my pets are adorable every time I post their videos on Instagram but they all know who the leader here is. The shadow gets closer and I realize that he's keeping his human form, luckily for me since thanks to my training and the extra strength and agility provided by my animal nature, I'm a really good fighter; I'm not as good in my werewolf form but it's because I barely practice, to be honest.

"Hello, Ruby. I'm sorry to disturb you so late." The second-to-last person I'd expect to find in my backyard is standing in front of me near the pool, the last one would be my father, of course. He keeps a safe distance trying to show me that he's not here looking for a fight but thanks to my ultrasensitive sense of hearing he doesn't need to raise his voice, fortunately the whole neighbourhood won't hear us.

"Tony..." I whisper keeping a straight face so I can hide my confusion, I have no idea why he's here but I guess it's related to HIM.

"I need to talk to you, I wouldn't have bothered you if it weren't something important. I know you're not happy with me here as a visitor so I'd better explain everything to you quickly and then you can ask for more details later if you want."

"Do as you please," I cross my arms over my chest and wait without inviting him to sit down or drink something. I don't owe him or his people any gracious gesture. The werewolf, I refuse to call him brother, takes a deep breath and starts talking.

"A week ago I was visiting a friend's sister who has a beauty salon in Melbourne, I came across a girl and I felt... something weird. I thought I'd found my mate although my bond with her didn't seem as strong as everybody says it must be... and now I know why. We explained to her what we are, and of course she freaked out, I told her she was my mate and she... laughed her ass off in my face." I can't help smiling, I don't see how that's any concern of mine but the image I'm picturing in my mind is really funny. "The point is that Iselen is gay and what she's looking for in a man is if he has a hot sister... and I have one. I think she's your mate and my sister in law and that's why my animal nature identified her..."