NINE (Ruby POV)

Protecting my mate... that's my only obsession, I can't get it out of my head, I've failed miserably in this important task these past days but it won't happen again: firstly, she felt insecure by my side while I was fighting my mistrust, then I jumped on her like a beast in our own bed, I let haters feasting on her on social media while she was crying and I left her alone while my ex-girlfriend confronted her... This is over. Nothing and no one will bother my girl again, she must be happy... I need to protect her and make sure she's okay because otherwise I won't be able to control my wolf next time and someone will get hurt. I can feel I'm on the edge, my skin is burning and itching uncomfortably while we walk down Melrose Ave and my eyes monitor my surroundings looking for threats.

Besides, I'm tired... I got a few hours of sleep last night and spent most of the time holding Iselen in my arms watching her sleeping while Ru snored next to me. I still can't believe how bad the dinner ended... everything was perfect: my mate was with me, looking beautiful and laughing at my friend's jokes, we danced and sang and suddenly it was time to go back home and I thought that I could help her to get rid of that gorgeous dress and maybe give her a massage with her new lavender organic oil. I could picture the rest of my life like that, Iselen by my side in every movie premier or parties and fashion shows, we'd go back home later and we'd collapse on the mattress exhausted but laughing, hugging each other during the whole night... I want it so bad that my heart hurts when thinking about it.

But it didn't happen like that... I spent the night hugging my mate in our bed, that's true, but focusing on her breath fanning my skin while I tried to restrain myself because I wanted to phone my ex and yell at her why she dared to confront my girl. I should've gone to the restroom when I felt her fear from the ballroom, I knew something weird was going on but I didn't want to grab my friend's attention acting odd... maybe it's better like this... my mood is really volatile right now and my wolf would've taken control probably... that's something I don't want to see on social media. I can feel the animal inside me watching Iselen's back through my eyes while she stares at a shop window, my senses are sharper than ever before and the perfume of my mate stands out over the car fumes, human sweat and the smell of food that comes from the closest cafeteria... my wolf won't lose her again, everything will be all right as long as we can smell sweet lavender near us.

I take a deep breath trying to soothe my nerves and lick my lips hungrily when my mate leans forward slightly showing me the soft skin of her neck... I'm dying to bite that exact spot and mark her as mine finally but it's still too early: I'm not going to tie her to me with an unbreakable bond till we get to know each other better, our relationship is too new and we need to learn how to trust each other. I couldn't bear it if she leaves me after a big fight once our souls are united... we'd get sick and die... I shake my head to clear my mind and get closer to the shop window in order to find out what's caught her eyes.

"Do you like that shirt?" Iselen jumps like I poked her with a pin and looks at me blushing.

"It's pretty..." She's right, it's a white shirt made of cotton poplin with embroidered three-quarter sleeves, mandarin collar and hidden buttons on the front: it looks quite simple but smart, I wouldn't wear it unless I were invited to a TV program for an interview but I can picture my girl wearing it everyday. That's just her style.

"Do you want it?" I move one step towards the store door but I stop when feeling her getting tensed.

"That's not a formal dress... besides, I don't need it. I have enough clothes. Thank you."

"Iselen, babe..." I frown annoyed and my skin itches even more when my wolf goes on alert.

"That's an Alexander McQueen shirt and costs $900... I can't afford paying that amount of money..."