TWENTY (Ruby POV)

"I can't believe this..." My mate grumbles from the kitchen while I change the dirty plates on the garden table for some clean, we've eaten a delicious potato and leek cold cream with caramelized pear chunks and now we're going to enjoy my favourite veggie lasagne.. We'll do if Iselen brings it, finally. "She had to choose that precise moment..." My mate keeps growling while she bends forward to take the lasagne from the oven with great care so she doesn't burn her fingers and leaves it on the island counter. The mixed smell of food and my girl makes my mouth water. "The worst moment of them all..."

I can't help chuckling, leaning my shoulder casually on the frame of the French doors and Iselen scowls at me with disapproval like she wants to stab me with the knife she holds in her hand. Luckily for me, she seems to think of it and starts cutting the lasagne while my dogs watch her closely despite they've already eaten the content in their bowls. She's so funny when she's angry... Because she's furious with me, actually, I can feel it through our bond, and in addition to that she's been growling quietly the entire morning, threatening not to bake cookies anymore, she's jumped from the bed directly to the shower without kissing me good morning and has been shooting me killer looks from the kitchen while she was making breakfast and lunch. I should be worried and trying to calm her down but the problem is that, due to the reason why she's boiling with rage, I don't know how to do that... I can't travel back in time to fix it.

"Baby..." Iselen walks right by me, hissing like a cat, and leaves the lasagne on the garden table before serving me a piece she takes from the corner of the tray, with the pasta edge curled and crispy, my favourite... I smile delighted while sitting up, I think there's hope for a reconciliation after all.

"I can't believe this..." she repeats before serving her piece of lasagne and flopping down next to me. "Have you really realized that you love me after watching me throwing an ice cube to your enemy's face?" I nod while gesturing with my mouth full of very hot lasagne for a few seconds till I manage to swallow it without burning my oesophagus.

"That's true, babe, you stole my heart at that very moment..."

"Ruby!" Charlie barks nervously when he hears my mate's outraged cry and I decide that this joke has gone too far, I drop my fork and take a deep breath.

"Listen, Iselen, I'm sorry... It was sort of a spur of the moment, I just told you what I was thinking at that second. I admit I could've waited and looked for a more romantic opportunity, or at least a more private place, but the point is that I was honest. I really love you, I'm not telling you this because it's what you expect to hear like I did with my former partners, for the first time in my life I'm absolutely sure of what I'm feeling... I love you, I trust you, I can't live without you..."

"Okay, I understand... thank you." My mate smiles holding back her tears, her eyes shining beautifully, and she leans forward in order to graze my lips in a sweet kiss. "Eat your lasagne before it gets cold... I bought a pineapple for dessert, or do you prefer anything else?" I shake my head while eating enthusiastically, this is delicious.

"I want to have a second helping of lasagne, does this have nutmeg in it?" Iselen nods while my phone starts ringing on the coffee table of the living room but I ignore it, whoever is calling can do it again later. "This is perfect. Can you make it everywhere? Whatever oven or whatever kitchen..."

"Yes, of course, as long as there is a market close where I can buy ingredients..." My phone rings again, echoing through the room, but I shake my head ignoring it again while I collect the creamy sauce from the bottom of the tray with a spoon.

"Yum... so good. My holidays are almost over so next time you make lasagne it'll be in Vancouver, my lawyers are working already to obtain your residence and working permits but it won't be a problem since you're my assistant, and you'll love the kitchen, it's fully equipped... Baby..." I drop the spoon and take her hand, entwining our fingers when I feel her distress through our bond. "I know it's the third time you move in a few months and you're tired but it'll be the last one, I promise, we'll stay in Canada for almost a year."