SIX (Ruby POV)

"All right... all right Ru... I'm awake now," I whisper sleepy. "Stop licking my face... you're the most annoying alarm clock of the entire world... I'm glad you find it funny but I wasn't praising you," I answer to her barks. I turn on the bed and slide my hand through the mattress to find... nothing... my mate isn't lying next to me. I raise my head immediately and my eyes scan the bedroom despite it's dark, but it seems that she's not here or in the bathroom. Damn! I thought I made clear where her place is last night: she should be in my bed. Last night I... "Oh, fuck! I messed it up..." I growl quietly while lying on my back hiding my face behind my hands. "For fuck's sake Ruby, what were you thinking of?"

It was my wolf the one who was thinking, not me... that's the problem. I can't believe how bad I treated my mate: our first night together... our first kiss. It should've been more romantic, I should've lit some candles after our dinner, told some jokes to hear her laughing, kissed her slowly enjoying her soft skin when touching her, undressed her taking my time... I shouldn't have attacked her from behind like a wild animal with my mind clouded by an intense lust because of her perfume... but I'm half animal... "And also half human... you should be able to control yourself..." Suddenly, an idea makes its way through my mind like a flash scaring the hell out of me. I sit down on my bed abruptly and Ru barks startled in front of me. I stare at my pet horrified. "Did I ask her permission?" I ask my dog and she looks back at me confused. "I can't remember, I think I did it... I'd never have touched her without her permission, wouldn't I?"

I crawl out of the bed and run to the bathroom in order to wash up a little and put on some decent clothes despite the last thing I want at the moment is getting rid of her scent that persists on my skin but I need to find her to know if she's angry with me. I won't allow her to leave me but I can do something to compensate for my behaviour: I'm going to be kinder and more loving from now on, I've been behaving like an idiot instead of working in order to help and support each other through this process of transition. She's alone in a foreign country, far away from her family, living with a stranger, in a big city without friends and I'm not making things easier for her.

"Stupid Ruby Rose..." I grumble walking down the corridor barefoot on the hardwood floor wearing grey sweatpants and a T-shirt. I stick my head through the living room door and realize that it smells of freshly made coffee and toasts... if she's made me breakfast it means that she's not angry with me, I hope... My eyes spot my mate sitting at the kitchen island on a tall stool and my heart skips one beat when I saw her tilted head and her shoulders convulsing because of the sobs she's trying to muffle covering her mouth with her hand. "Iselen! Babe, I'm so sorry..." I run across the living room and hug her tight but she doesn't pull away like I was expecting, instead she holds onto my body and her tears fall on the skin of my neck. "I messed it up last night, my wolf lost control... it won't happen again, I promise. Please, forgive me..." My girl shakes her head sobbing. "Iselen, I beg you..." I look down and notice that there's a small bruise on her neck, I didn't marked her last night but it was close. "Honey, tell me I didn't hurt you... I never meant to do that..."

The sound of several notifications arriving to her phone cuts me off, vibration makes the device slip on the marble counter and my mate hugs me tighter when she hears it, almost sinking her fingertips in my ribs. That puzzles me... what's going on here? I take her phone with one hand and unlock it the way she taught me yesterday when she showed me that she has nothing to hide from me and her Instagram account appears on the screen. She's getting hundreds of notifications and her inbox is full due to the amount of private messages. Thanks to the fact that Iselen follows several of my fan accounts I realize that it's been two hours since the tabloid published the article with the pictures they took yesterday at the supermarket and it's pretty obvious that the girl who's walking by my side is my girlfriend, as the headline says.