SEVENTEEN (Iselen POV)

"You've done so well this evening, I'm so proud of you..." I rub the soft fur of the grey and reddish wolf and the animal sighs satisfied, making herself comfortable next to me on the living room carpet where I'm sat while the dogs are lying on the couch maintaining a respectful distance. We trained for two hours: Ruby has run, has jumped, she's chased a ball and some squirrels but she released them unharmed... she just wants to refine her senses. The truth is that she's improved a lot and her strength and speed are amazing. Sometimes I get the impression that her wolf is bigger than the day I met her, she's developed muscular mass and her fur shines even more, she looks... healthy. It's pretty obvious that her animal side was weak but she's regained strength and that helped with her mind balance too, her mood doesn't swing that much and she seems happy.

My hands slip up along her back and start scratching behind her ears, tearing a soft growl from her throat. Ruby loves what she calls her "massage" after training but she wants me to pet her, actually. The big animal turns shamelessly and shows me her belly while I chuckle, burying my fingers in her thick fur, warm and silky, rubbing hard here and there till I end up scratching her neck and chin. The wolf licks my hand with adoration... and the doorbell interrupts us. I frown confused because my mate usually warns me is we're expecting visitors, if she's bought something and is waiting for a package or she's ordered takeout but she hasn't said anything today. The doorbell rings again and I get closer quickly, walking across the front garden followed by the animal that's perked up her ears and sniffs the air cautiously, always ready to protect me. Ru and Charlie are waiting in the entrance hall and haven't barked, although normally they'd raise a hell: I think they respect the wolf more than they respect human Ruby.

"Good evening, I'm sorry to bother you, madam." A tall and dark haired guy greets me with a smile, he doesn't seem to be a threat and looks familiar to me, actually... I think he lives in this neighbourhood and I've run into him sometimes at the supermarket with my girl.

"Can I help you?" I ask kindly, relaxing my muscles when I realize that the wolf stays close to me but she's not growling and doesn't seem particularly anxious. That's a good sign.

"Well, my front yard is flooded, water is running down the street towards my house, see?" He points to his left and I stick my head out through the black iron door: he's right, I can see that the lower area of the street is getting flooded little by little. "I think a pipe has broken, maybe a sprinkler in the garden of a neighbour. Have you got any problem with those?"

"No, to be honest. Our garden looks perfect and there's no sight of water..." I step back and point around me so the guy can check I'm telling him the truth, the concrete area in front of the garage is clean and no sprinkler is broken.

"All right, it'll be a problem of the neighbour next door, most likely... Wow. What a big dog... is it half wolf? I thought they were forbidden in California unless they're hybrids with a heavily diluted wolf blood..." Our visitor stares at Ruby with his mouth wide open and seems ready to run to the nearest police station in order to report us for having an exotic animal at home without permission. Panic bursts in my stomach, I need to keep training with Ruby and no place is safer than our back garden... I'd better find a reasonable explanation.

"Oh no, it's not a wolf. It's a European breed of... agility dog. You know, those obstacle races for dogs guided by the voice and gestures of their owners. There's only a handful like her in the United States, they're very exclusive but Ruby Rose loves all kinds of animals and she rescued this dog from an abusive owner. She's very good at agility races and has won several competitions. Look..." I turn and wink at the wolf deliberately, hopping she'll understand my message. "Up!" My mate jumps on a big flowerpot nimbly. "Turn..." Ruby jumps at my feet and runs around my legs till she stops and sits in front of me, obediently. "Lie down... now roll... good girl..."