The Trick Works

"New bandage?" He raised his eyebrows in question of it.

"Yes, so wear it from now on." Namjoo keenly smiled as if proud of herself.

Luhan glanced at the ribbon again then to her, "What are you going to do about it when it starts getting old?"

"I'll just get you a new one," she replied and they smiled at each other.

"What did you bring?" His eyes skimmed over the bags.

Dinner came and went unlike the long hours he spent at work. In just another hour Namjoo had left after their meal and he was back with his usual companion: the silence.

It wasn't quite the same as the silence Chae Yoon had abandoned him with. This kind of silence wasn't heavy nor did it chant cloudy words into the back of his mind. He wasn't uncomfortable with this silence because it'd come to him like a summer breeze, warm and welcoming. This silence was intangible and friendly. Luhan felt good when alone with it unlike the dreaded silence Chae Yoon gave him. He was content and he was well.

Feeling worn out and ready for bed, he stepped into the bathroom to wash up. While he let the water run he suddenly stared at the ribbon on his wrist. It made him gush up, not the kind of way in which his heart fluttered but in the way that he felt warm and whole.

A new bandage, Namjoo had called it.

A brisk smile entered his face. Pulling his sleeve over it in order to keep it dry from getting wet he leaned over to grab his toothbrush.

"====="

A shady light of the sun ray drifted into the staff room through half opened blinds. The digital clock sitting on the side of the night table read 8:00. Of the two twin beds in the night staff room only one of them had been occupied during the night.

Lanky doctor Lee Ki Chan jolted awake the mere second his phone started ringing. Sitting up with his back arched forward he allowed for his neck to lazily droop forward. Raising a hand up he rubbed the back of his head while struggling to gather his senses. The phone still hadn't stopped ringing just yet.

Lazily flinging his arm out for it he answered in a dry voice, "Hello?"

"Ki Chan, have some time for coffee?" He immediately recognized Chae Yoon's voice.

Of all the persons who would call him in the early mornings for coffee was only Chae Yoon. He'd taken it by now that she was a caffeine addict and there was no helping being her accompiment to the usual café.

Forcing himself up he walked out of the hospital after brushing and washing up. Sleep was still in his eyes due to a tiring night shift. If they were still somewhat bloodshot red he'd forgo Chae Yoon's morning complaints and return to sleep in the night staff room.

Chae Yoon was already waiting for him with her own cup of coffee that morning. As usual he'd have to take to buying his own cup. Sometimes he wondered why she wouldn't take to treating him.

"My, you look horrible," Chae Yoon commented upon seeing him. "How are you supposed to catch any lady's eyes like that?"

"I'm so tired," he moaned, stretching back into his seat.

"Does Namjoo work today?" Chae Yoon wondered.

"Not sure." Ki Chan rubbed his eyes; still exhausted from the shifts he'd been assigned.

Chae Yoon smiled with a quiet spur as if to prod his attention.

"You haven't heard from her I'm guessing?"

He shook his head still unable to wake up. Even as the tasty scent of coffee drifted up to coat his nostrils he still couldn't gather his senses. Locking his fingers together he leaned his head forward to close his eyes.