Chapter XI

Caroline's POV

I set my sight on the decaying castle in front of me. It's ruin like state made my skin crawl the building appeared to be falling apart as if one step inside would make the whole thing collapse.

The retrieval of the dark shard would be quite easy for me since before becoming the grand witch I was the leader of the elite witches that specialized in magic that would be useful in secret retrieval missions

The retrieval of the dark shard would be quite easy for me since before becoming the grand witch I was the leader of the elite witches that specialized in magic that would be useful in secret retrieval missions. During the war the need to gather intel from enemy clans without getting caught was vital and I was the number one person for the job. My plan was quite simple to get in and get out they do always say the simplest of plans are the ones that are more likely to succeed.

I chanted a cloaking spell to mask my presence and an invisibility spell to make it easier for me to not be spotted. The entrance was guarded by gargoyles making it impossible to enter without being heard. This left me with no other choice but to look around the perimeter in hopes of another way in. I found a door that appeared to be an escape route taking my chances I made haste to enter. Once inside I found myself in a dungeon-like room I proceeded forward ignoring those that were found trapped inside cages although they could not see me I saw them and that did not bring me peace of mind.

Room after room I finally found the one I was looking for. The shard as Lucifer had described it was perched on a pedestal sitting there unguarded ready for the taking. Of course, this was an obvious trap created by magic, but what they never expected was a witch that could actually use magic in the inferno. I assessed the spell and hurriedly disabled it not taking my chances to wait for what could happen next I grabbed the crystal without a second thought and made a break for it.

I had successfully made it out of the palace and returned back to where Lucifer resided. Showing him the crystal with a triumphant grin we proceeded with the next step in our plan getting us out of here.

¨Let's proceed and get out of here; I need drops of your blood,¨ I told him.

Without a hint of hesitation, he slit his wrist above the fire I had lit to cast the spell. Smoke emerged and the light of the fire turned a bloody red color as I chanted the spell. It took everything in me to cast such a complicating spell and I was almost to my limit when the shackles that bound lucifer broke and a portal to the outside served open he also began to glow showing that his powers were coming back. The surge of magical power emitted from him as well as the opening of the portal attracted guards and Dante himself. I fell limp completely drained from all the magic I've used up.

With a final look outside Lucifer grabbed me and threw us both through the portal before it completely vanished from sight. The place it had brought us was what I could assume a tumb. Lucifer's face had become grim and sullen as he took in the place we now stood in.

¨Where are we,¨ I questioned.

¨Its the tomb of my brother the previous demon lord,¨ he responded.

¨How did the demon lord die it wasn't written in the Grimoire as if that piece of information had been erased from history nobody, not even the current demon king knows¨

He laughed bitterly before continuing to speak, ¨Of course she would do that,¨ he muttered. ¨I killed him and got myself sealed here by her in this exact spot as well quite ironic don't you think?¨

My breath hitched at the sudden revelation, the mood had become dark and I dared not to speak too consumed by my thoughts of what I had just brought back from Dante's Inferno. To my luck, he cleared his throat and his usual smirk once more took over his features.

¨Very well let's go and you should probably want to give me the crystal I can hide its presence much better since I'm sure you still haven't recovered from doing the spell.¨

Reluctantly I handed over the crystal and began to follow behind him as he made his way out of the tomb. We made it out only to find ourselves in the demon king's dungeon. Lucifer cursed beside me muttering that he had taken a wrong turn.

¨Well it has been quite a while since I've been here; anyways cant you do a teleportation spell or something to get us out of the castle,¨ he said laughing slightly.

¨I've run out magic don't you think I would have done that by now? ¨ I said clenching my teeth not finding the humor in this situation.

He shrugged nonchalantly, ¨then just use mine.¨

He held out his hand making it glowing I grabbed it and began to feel the magic course through my body. Chanting yet another set of words we were finally out of the dungeon and in witch territory. Sensory witches burst through my bedroom doors no doubt sensing the unknown magical source. Eyes scanning the room landing on me making them visibly relax and then they landed on the man holding my hand making their lips curl into a snarl.

"Who are you and what are you attempting to do to our coven leader," they yelled in a surprisingly good union.

Lucifer dropped my hand and raised both of his hands in mock surrender. I spoke telling them that he was the man who would help us rise to power. They bowed their heads slightly muttering an apology.

"Now that that's settled shall continue on with the plan, " I said.

Lucifer nodded with a mischievous grin on his face.

"The all mighty and powerful with soon fall before us. I shall get my revenge and you shall obtain the power you so desire"