january 17, 2019

eden checked the time on her phone, it was just past eight in the morning. she groaned and rolled out of bed, she got her gym bag put together and bundled up tightly in jeans, a cream coloured knit sweater and a black teddy coat over top. she threw on a toque, scarf and mittens and left her apartment to go to the gym to film a workout. she wanted to stop at starbucks first to get a coffee before the gym, she wasn't even paying attention when she walked right into someone.

"oh man, jeez. i'm so sorry, i should really be watching where i'm going." she apologized to whoever it was that she bumped into.

"eden?"

she looked up, and lo and behold, it was auston matthews. the two never ended up going on that date that they talked about, in fact, they hadn't even talked in about two weeks. their schedules were so conflicting, with eden going to australia for a week with gymshark, who sponsored her and auston constantly being busy or away with hockey, they just never found the time.

"auston." she breathed almost a sigh of relief. she found comfort in his eyes and immediately wrapped herself in his arms.

"how have you been?" he mumbled into her neck, enjoying the embrace just as much as she was.

"honestly, i've been better," she laughed a bit to lighten up what she had just said, "how about yourself?"

"me too edes... i'm sorry for losing touch with you these last few weeks, it's just been really hectic you know what i mean?"

"it's okay." it really wasn't but it was just as much her fault as it was his.

"are you busy right now?" he asked, hoping she would say no.

"i was on my way to the gym to film a workout..." she trailed off, knowing she should have just said no.

"oh... well in that case i should let you get to it right?"

"well, no. it can wait, if it means i get to spend some time with you."

"did you want to go get breakfast somewhere?"

eden agreed to go, and walked hand in hand with auston to his car. they drove off to a little diner and took their seats. they both began scanning the menu, their minds racing with what to say to each other.

they both started to say something at the same time, and then they laughed.

"you go first." eden insisted.

"i was just going to ask you why things haven't been so great lately. but you don't have to answer if i'm prying."

eden thought for a moment.

"i've just been pretty lonely."

auston nodded, looking somewhat sad for the girl he felt so strongly for.

"you said you've been better too... why?" she asked sympathetically.

"i mean, honestly, i've been pretty lonely too. i think it's the time of year... i just haven't felt myself..." he trailed off, looking anywhere but into her eyes.

"hey," she reached out for his hand and he tensed up a little bit under her touch, "i'm here for you, okay?"

she gave his hand a little bit of a squeeze and admired his features, he was so handsome, it made her weak. she saw through his darkness, and saw his beauty within. he has such a kind soul, she didn't want to lose somebody like that from her life.

"so... what happened with eleanor that night? she seemed pretty distraught." auston asked as eden began to explain.

//

eleanors pov

i couldn't find kasperi anywhere, i looked around and asked mitch and steph if either of them had seen him. neither said they had, i started to wonder if he left without telling me. i searched the condo once more, and as a last resort i began checking the bedrooms. the second door i opened, he was there, hooking up with some random girl from the party. what did i expect? i mean, i had just met the guy anyways... and he's in the nhl, it's what athletes do, it's like..... athlete culture to hook up with as many hot chicks as you can. however i felt really hurt, and i really got my hopes up thinking that he was a good guy. i was upset and i just wanted to leave, so now i had to go and find my sister. she was with auston matthews, she saw me come around the corner.

"el, what's wrong?" she asked me, her voice was laced with sympathy, she could tell something was up, after all, i was almost in tears.

"we have to go, okay?" i tried hard to swallow the lump that was forming in my throat. my sister nodded and quickly exchanged numbers with the hockey player and we left.

on the way home i explained to her what had happened, she told me about her night with auston, but didn't want to brag, especially because mine started the way hers ended.

//

"wow... i mean i'm not surprised by that, but kappy usually has more class than that." auston stated before taking a bite of his breakfast.

eden shook her head, still feeling bad for eleanor, although she wasn't even really hurt by it anymore. she had lots of guys to get over kappy with, not like she really needed to get over him, they knew each other for a few hours.

"hockey players." eden made a joke, that kind of offended auston.

"what's that supposed to mean?" he raised his eyebrows at her.

"it's not supposed to mean anything bad," she refracted, trying to clean up for what she had just said, "i just meant it in general, nothing personal towards you."

auston smirked a bit, looking like he was slightly mad. 

"i'm sorry, i should really learn to keep my mouth shut." eden got shy and sort of awkward, finishing up her food in silence.

"it's okay... i shouldn't have taken it so personally."

the rest of the breakfast was a little bit awkward, both eden and auston felt on edge with each other. they paid and gathered their things, getting ready to leave.

"i'm sorry this didn't go better, i hoped that it would." auston sighed, scratching the back of his head.

"maybe we can have a re-do when we're free again, just let me know. preferably not another six weeks again though." eden smiled, she had butterflies when she looked at him.

"i'd like that. i'll text you, okay?" auston pecked her sweetly on the lips before walking off. eden stood there momentarily, admiring him for just a few seconds more before going her own way as well.

"i hope he actually texts me..." she thought to herself.

"maybe i should let her text me first so i know she's interested..." auston thought as he got into the drivers seat of his car.