chapter one

If only the hat had mentioned a house for people who felt a bit queasy, that would have been the one for him. His parents had told him exactly what to do but it did not stop him from feeling a bit skittish. Of course, he did have his friends and this did make him feel a little better but he didn't want to be sorted into any house other than Slytherin. Of course, his father had reassured him that no one in their family had ever gotten sorted into any other house but in a way, it made things worse. What if he was the first one to be in a different house? He could very much see his father being angry.

He looked around at the other first years, marching up to the sorting hat after their names were called. He waited for his name, not really paying attention to anyone. That was until Harry Potters name was called. He had heard his parents complain about his parents numerous times, to him, the Potters were a big deal. He knew that Harry's parents fought against Lord Voldemort, they were part of the "Order" as his parents had called it.

He had never met any of them, however, his father would have never allowed it. They didn't really talk to that sort of wizard.

Harry sat on the stool and Professor McGonagall put the hat on his head. It thought for a second before belting out, "Slytherin!"

There were murmurs across the Great Hall. Apparently, this was a big shock. Even the teachers looked a little-taken back. Harry didn't seem to be too pleased about it either. He asked Professor McGonagall to try it again but the hat had made its decision.

After several more people, it was his turn. The hat barely touched his head before it yelled out, "Slytherin!"

Feeling satisfied, Draco walked over to the Slytherin table. He sat next to Harry, although part of him felt mighty awkward about it. Should he say something to him? He probably wouldn't even want to be friends with me.

Blaise and Pansy joined him at the table, along with Crabbe and Goyle. Draco felt better about a lot of things now that he had his friends and his house.

The feast commenced and Draco got the courage to talk to the boy next to him.

"You're Harry Potter aren't you? Well, I'm Draco Malfoy, you might have heard of my family," he said, holding out his hand.

"Oh yes, I've heard of you. Your family works for the Dark Lord." He turned away from his outstretched hand and back to his food.

"I understand why you're in Slytherin now, it sure was bold of you to do that, reject my friendship, I mean." Draco also went back to his plate but inside being rejected hurt. Even if their families didn't get along. What did that have to do with them?

"I didn't ask to be put in Slytherin," Harry said. "I don't know how I'm going to tell my parents."

"You really think that they would be mad? It was what the sorting hat said, you can't go against that."

Harry scoffed. He could tell that Harry wasn't in the best of moods, but he couldn't understand why. In his opinion, Slytherin was better of the four houses. He had a lot of pride in this house and wanted to tell Harry off. 

The rest of dinner, Draco talked to his other friends as Harry didn't talk to anyone. He would have included him if he had trusted that He wasn't going to be rude about it.

The prefects then led the first years to their dormitories when dinner had come to a conclusion. Draco chose the bed next to Harry's, despite what Crabbe and Goyle wanted. Harry had closed the curtains of his four-poster bed but this did not stop Draco from trying to make conversation.

He pulled the curtain back, "going to bed already? On the first night here?" Draco asked he smirked at him.

"I'm tired," Harry said, taking the sheets over his head and rolling to the other side.

"What's your deal anyway, everyone else couldn't be more excited to be here. You're lucky to be at the best Wizarding school in the whole world, you're also lucky that I'm even talking to you my parents would never allow me to speak to wizards of your standing," Draco told him, he thought this would convince him to be in a better mood. But he was wrong.

"My deal? You really want to know?" Harry asked, rolling back over and sitting up, " I didn't want to be sorted into Slytherin. I didn't want to be here with wizards like you, you and your family are fighting for everything that is evil."

"Is that what your parents have told you?" Draco scoffed. "Well, they couldn't be more wrong about that. You need to take time and look at both sides, you'll find there's good on both." He didn't think Harry would listen but he smiled before rolling over, away from him.

"Good night, Harry Potter," Draco said. He wanted to be friends with him, and he told himself that night that he would do everything in his power to do so.