Chapter 1 ~ Stolen

{Samuel's Point of View}

Song: "El Dorado" by Thomas Bergeron, feat. Two Steps From Hell

******

I sat at a desk with my hands folded and a narrow-eyed expression at the Headmaster. He wore an old, battered gray suit with a blue neck tie, and had a long gray beard. He eyed me with a quizzical expression, then looked back down at his papers.

"Samuel Hemmings, what is it that you've come to me to complain about now? Are you here to claim your innocence about something else?" His tone was curt and had an edge to it that showed he had little patience to deal with me today. I didn't care what he thought.

I leaned back in the chair and narrowed my gray eyes on him. "I'm here to report a stolen item." I say tersely and clenched my fists in my lap. The air conditioning was on in the small office, the faint whir the only sound as the Headmaster gave me a long look, an exasperated sigh escaping his lips as he realized I wouldn't elaborate. Despite the leather jacket I wore, I was still cold. I always seemed to be cold.

"A stolen item? Now that is surprising. A student stole from you?" His tone and demeanor was calm, but I knew he was going over scenarios in his head for what the item could possibly be. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, Headmaster. You see, it was very important to me and there's only one quite like it in the world. It's a ring, made of solid gold, and I'd like to have it back. Its got engravings on it. It's a bit of a family heirloom, and I'd like also for the thief to be punished for the crime. Preferably expelled." I crossed my arms over my chest and my unwavering stare showed just how perfectly serious I was. 

The Headmaster sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "We'll see what we can do to get it back to you, Samuel. In the meantime, do go back to your studies. I know you have summer term still to finish with finals and all. The new first years will be arriving tomorrow, and I expect you to be on your best behavior."

I stood up and ran a hand through my jet black hair and smirked. "Not like you can kick me out, Headmaster. After all, my father is the one you should worry about causing any sort of trouble more than me. You know how I tend to keep to myself while on campus, and that's why this thievery is so alarming to me." I narrowed my eyes at the Headmaster. "I also assume you don't want my father knowing about this, correct?"

The Headmaster's expression turned stoic. "He knows just as well as you do that he is not allowed anywhere near the boarders of this University." He said seriously.

I smirked. "It's funny you think the little boarder control could hold him back. I have to go back to my studies, as you so enjoy reminding me of, but I do hope the culprit is caught. I'm not entirely in the mood to get my hands dirty." I smirked, the shadows in the room seeming to grow only for a moment before the lamp's light fought back the darkness and illuminated the room again.

I then turned and left the office and made my way out of the Administrator's building and across the quad, a large field dotted with stone pathways on one side with open structures over gardens with benches and hammocks. The other side was open- that was where the school hosted rugby, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey games.

I shoved my hands into my pockets and put on a mask of indifference as I looked around me. I had to around here. I had very little friends in this world as most people were afraid of me because of who my father was. He was a Dark Lord and all- it made sense that his son would be just as evil.

I found a rock on the path and stopped to pick it up, that's when I saw her.

She was standing in the middle of the quad with a Polaroid in hand, and taking pictures. There was a wide smile on her face. I raised an eyebrow and just stood in the shadows of an open pavilion and watched her. She was new- that I knew for certain. I had never seen her before and I knew every girl here. I knew everyone here and made it my business to, so she must have been a first year.