Chapter 3 ~ Orientation Sucks

~Samuel's Point of View~

Song: "Human" by Jon Bellion

******

"So. What are you going to do now? She's sitting in the front row. You could-" Haven began but I glared at him and said,

"After class. I can't do anything now." He shrugged and put his feet up on the seat in front of him. The auditorium wasn't full yet, and there was ten minutes until class started. The professor was getting ready and I watched as she got up and went to talk with him. She had her spot set up- planner, notebook, and pencil case out.

She wore those overall jean shorts again that were covered in paint stains, a blue t-shirt, and her blonde hair was down with a bandanna around her head.

I watched her go back to her seat and I wrinkled my nose in disgust as two people came to sit with her.

"Is that Brandon Birch? That rich dude's son?" Haven asked and I watched in distaste as he began to flirt with her, and she flirted back.

"I believe so." I say tensely.

"Ah, shit, man. She's with the Fellowship club." Haven grumbled.

"Do you know how to shut up, dude?" I asked, giving him a degrading look. "I'm literally watching what's happening- I don't need a play-by-play."

"Listen. You always have me do the talking for you, so it's not like me talking incessantly is anything new." Haven said and scowled at me, his dark eyes narrowing a little. "And besides- it's weird you're so interested in her of all people."

"She's different." I say dismissively, waving a hand at him.

"How is she so different?" Seran asked from my other side and looped an arm through mine. I tensed and slid my arm free.

"She just is. I don't know why. Who would come to Tolkien Academy if they aren't from Home?" I asked and sent her a look. "And keep your hands to yourself."

"Aw, c'mon, Sammy. You just seem so tense." She said with a pout and ran her hand up my arm and I ground my teeth. I didn't want her hands on me. Never again.

"Haven, switch seats with me." I gritted out, standing, and Seran scoffed in irritation. I looked at him and he merely rolled his eyes and moved.

"Yeah, sure. I'll sit between you and your ex. Sounds great." Hs grumbled and I merely nodded and ground my teeth as we sat down again. I noticed Seran was frowning at me. She looked so innocent- as if she didn't do what she did to me. I had more self respect than to be in a relationship with her.

Even if my father wanted us together.

I pulled out a notebook and pen and began to write out their names. Anyone associated with Callie would go on this list. The new girl. She was different- but an uncomfortable different that I didn't know how to place.

Then there was the matter of my missing ring. I doubted strongly that the disappearance of my Ring and her arrival were coincidental. I'd have to watch out for that, too. Whoever had it would feel my wrath.

Class began and the room went quiet. No one sat near Haven and I and avoided the seat he had his feet up on. I didn't mind the space. In fact, I wanted more than space than the last seat in the row provided from Seran. We broke up a week ago, but she didn't seem to think I was serious. I would never admit it out loud, but she scared me almost as much as my father did.

The professor began his lecture on the history of our world and I watched and gauged Callie's reaction, attempting to shake myself out of the traumatic memories flashing across my mind's eye. I watched her look between Brandon and the blond idiot Leland Greenleaf, as if wondering if the professor was serious or not. I smirked as she stopped writing and raised her hand. Here we go.