Chapter 9 ~ Capture the Flag Goes Wrong

~Samuel's Point of View~

Song: "I Don't Wanna Go" by Alan Walker feat. Julie Bergen

******

I watched the Fellowship cluster around Callie, and I watched her push them aside enough to glare pointedly at me.

"I think you're all talk!" She challenged.

The clearing was silent as they watched us.

"I think you should be taught a lesson." I hissed.

Her eyes widened with fear and she shrank back from me and clung to Boromir and he wrapped his arms around me. I cursed myself.

A sword was pointed at my face. I looked at Aragorn for a long time, then said, "Don't worry. I'll behave tonight. The beast won't come out unless it's provoked."

I glanced at Callie and hoped beyond hope- beyond reason- that she understood I was trying to protect her. Because the closer she got to me, the higher the chances got that my father would discover her identity.

And I couldn't let it happen again.

Never again. I'd never let my father find someone I cared about again.

And I'd sooner die than see her hurt. This Fellowship- and Callie- just needed to believe I really was a monster. Maybe even see the one I can become.

"I think you're full of shit!" Callie shouted and shoved Boromir off of her and marched right up to me and glared at me. "I decide what I think of you." She said, voice hardly above a whisper, seeming to shake with anger.

I stuffed my hands in my pockets and leaned in closer to her and snarled, "You are wrong about me. And it is true, in answer to your question from earlier." I cared about her probably more than I should.

A flash of recognition appeared in her blue eyes, but her face remained in that same angry glare.

"Well," she replied, and seemed to be choosing her words carefully. "I had a feeling, but I don't think you're doing a good job of showing me."

I raised an eyebrow. "So what should I do, then?"

"Callie, get away from him!" Boromir called form behind me. I glanced back. Aragorn was holding him back. Callie followed where I was looking and clenched her jaw, then looked back at me.

"Hold your own out there, Baldor. Good luck." She then turned and walked away.

It took everything in me not to reach for her.

I walked away from the group and into my own, the orcs parting to the sides quickly as if I could burn them. And I probably would.

Seran took my hand and I shoved her off of me. I turned on her and shoved her against a tree. "Seran. If you touch me again, I will kill you." I snarled, eyes flashing red. "I've told you enough times, I want nothing to do with you."

She smirked at me and hissed back, "And if you do that, then you'll probably be in a lot more pain, huh? Because your father will not be too happy."

We were far enough away from the Fellowship's group that I knew none of them could hear the conversation. They were huddled around Callie and speaking in hushed voices. She was speaking to them exasperatedly as they tried to get her into armor.

I looked back at Seran and she grinned. "You like that one, huh?" She brought her hand up and grabbed my jaw in a vice-like grip. "If you don't want her to get hurt during the game, you'll kiss me right now."