The First Stone

Scarlett

"Baby Doll!" Michael yelled quickly gaining my full attention.

I swiftly rose to my feet from the sofa near the back of the studio, placing my drink down on the small table and running over in the direction from which  his voice had come.  "Michael." I released a deep breath I hadn't even realized I'd been holding.

"Are you okay?" He asked as I placed my arms tightly around his waist. Before pressing my face deeply into his chest. I soon felt his arms wrap around my back as he nuzzled his face into my hair. In his warmth I felt safe.

"I'm fine now." I admitted slowly releasing him only to look into his face and finally notice a soft bruise beneath his left eye. "What happened to your face?" I quizzed with furrowed brows. His hand landed on mine as soon as it touched his face.

"It's nothing." He spoke but something in his eyes said differently.

"Ahem!" Carmen's voice could be heard just a few feet away. I turned to face her. "Michael." She said with a head nod.

"Carmen." He replied in the same fashion.

"Well now that Killmonger's here I'll assume my services are no longer needed." She joked causing us both to giggle. She held her hand out and I idly stared at it for a moment. "I'll take Foxy now." She said tilting her head at me.

"Foxy?" I repeated feeling lost.

"My gun ..." She trailed waving her hand for emphasis.

"Oh right." I mumbled reaching into the back of my pants and retrieving it. I couldn't believe I had gotten so comfortable with it.

A sudden creak from someone stepping on to the broken glass near the entrance caused me to turn with the gun held high and firm.

"Whoa!" Michael yelled leaning back and stepping out of the way. "Calm down Baby Doll." He said as my eyes fell on a strange man in the doorway. He threw his hands in the air seemingly caught off guard and spooked beyond words. "He's here to fix the door." Michael added placing his hand over mine and lowering the gun.

"Oh." I whispered as he pried the gun from my fingers. Quickly handing it to Carmen.

"Okay pistol packing mama ... Let's get you out of this cold air. He said placing his arms on my shoulders and gently rubbing them.

"I'll catch you later." Carmen said placing her hand on the small of my back and then walking away.

"Thanks." I yelled at her back as she carefully stepped over the broken glass on her way out.

"Don't mention it!" She yelled over her shoulder just as Michael turned me towards the back door which led to the condo.

****

"So tell me exactly what happened. Don't leave anything out this time." He said as he slid out of his coat before helping me out of my own.

"I was showing Carmen the studio. And she wanted to see the condo so we came up here. We were talking about ... well ...  we we're having a drink." I said stumbling over that last part. I had almost told him we were in fact talking about his ass. "Then we heard a loud clash and when we came back downstairs the front door was busted. Someone threw a brick through it. There was a note attached to it. I got a little shook up, so I called you." He pulled me down onto the sofa next to him. Before reaching for the remote and turning on the television. I instantly caught an attitude felling as if his demeanor was very nonchalant. How could he be so calm and unnerved. Couldn't he tell that I was this close to shitting bricks. "Are you serious right now?" I scuffed turning into him.