epilogue

dan hated christmas. 

the day his true love had taken his own precious life because he thought dan didn't love him anymore. 

images of the red hoodie clinging to the dead bluish white skin always stabbed at dan's heart. 

memories of him being restrained by paramedics while he fought them to see phil one last time. 

phil wasn't smiling as his corpse was hauled from the deepest depths of the waterfall pool. the one time he let his bright trademark smile falter. dan eventually gave up. 

his father was waiting at home, ready to scream and hit dan. 

but dan wasn't in the mood. 

"daniel, where do you think-"
"fuck off, alcoholic bastard." 

the door slammed behind them as dan's father staggered backwards. 

"how dare you. i am your father!"
"not through choice. and a pathetic excuse for a parent." 

he reached for a bottle, slurring his speech. 

"it's a good thing your faggot boyfriend finally died. he was a bad influence." 

dan didn't even think about swinging his arm back to smash the bottle in his dad's face until it happened. 

"phil was twice the man you'll ever be." 

:: 

2 months had passed. 

dan had moved in with his friends joe and casper. a small city house but it was good enough for them. 

dan had taken up a bad alcohol habit and refused to wear anything but the grey pullover hoodie phil had gave him. 

joe and casper were supportive, they even attended the funeral. 

and the funeral was beautiful. the whole place was decorated with pastel shades of blue and purple and the entire area scattered with stars. 

dan couldn't move on and deep down he didn't want to. 

he kept the letters and the flower crown. a small box dedicated to phil. a memory box. 

phil was right. it was hard to forget him.
.

it was a late spring evening when dan decided to move on. 

the sky was dark and the stars were just beginning to reappear. the moon was full and shining like a spotlight. 

dan placed a blank sheet of paper on the table in front of him. 

he fumbled with the pen; unsure what to write.  finally the pen connected with the page and scribbled a neat line at the top.      

dear star boy                

the end