Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Nolan and Mateo got married after a few years. It was a beautiful wedding and Erebus married them while I got to bring in the rings. Nolan spent the entire morning attaching the blooms of the glas trees in the back of the garden Mateo loved so much, to his hair and he started crying when he laid his eyes on him. I think that was the only time I had actually seen him show any kind of emotion.

A few month later Nolan stopped working for Erebus because they had adopted a daughter and he wanted to stay at home with her. I missed him terribly since we had become friends and I made sure to visit him as often as I could. Mateo continued to work alongside me for a while before he resigned and started working for someone who lived closer to their new home so he could spent more time with Nolan and the children they continued to adopt. In the end they ended up with three daughters and two sons which they dearly loved and adored. They seemed to have found true happiness.

Koa spent a few more years there, teaching me how to cook and how to determine which vegetable to choose out of a pile. He put a lot of time and care into preparing meals and I got most of my cooking skills from him before he moved to heaven because he found the love of his life. Everyone just kind of left over the years and I was the only one that stayed because I had nowhere else to go.

Even Erebus and Nyx broke up two centuries after Koa had left and when he asked me if I wanted to stay with him and move to a secluded house at the side of a river, I said yes. He had been the only one who had ever wanted me to be around him and I had finally paid off my debt which meant I could say yes on my own free will and not because I felt like I owed him and I wanted to stay with him.

The house was so much smaller than the huge mansion he had lived in before but I liked it even better. I got my own room and I got to design it the way I wanted. Erebus started teaching me how to read, allowed me to explore several interests and I actually liked drawing and reading novels and poetry. I still had troubles reading on my own and I needed way too much time to put together the sentence in my head but I enjoyed having him read to me and spend time with him.

I didn't know when my feelings towards him changed. He didn't scare me anymore because I knew he'd never hurt me and had told me about every single thing in his past, including what happened with Thanatos. Now I looked at him like Nolan looked at Mateo and it scared me. I didn't want him to find out and punish me for having inappropriate feelings. I tried to get myself to stop but with every smile and every time he pet my hair, I got this fuzzy feeling in my stomach while goosebumps crept across my skin and it scared me even more that he had so much control over me.

We lived in peace and quiet for a while, some of his children visiting from time to time but generally it was just us. He spent most of his time in his office, looking over files and I managed the household and snapped at people to go away if they happened to knock on the door. He made it a habit to bring me souvenirs from every place he went to and I kept all of them in my room while I hid the special one's in the blanket fort I had built, to where I retreated if I was having another panic attack.

My little safe haven got ruined when Nyx decided to seek revenge on Thanatos by killing his boyfriend. He had lost his home during the whole thing and now they temporarily stayed with us. I hoped they were going to get out of the house soon because just having them around me constantly made me anxious. Even Hypnos frequently popped in to eat all the food I had in the fridge and I was starting to reach my limit. Even worse, one if not more of them had been in my room and damaged one of my snow globes and while Erebus had repaired it for me just thinking about it made me mad. That was my room. They shouldn't be in there.

"Good morning." Erebus smiled at me as he entered the kitchen.

I was still angry and didn't answer and just slapped his sandwhich onto a plate before shoving it at him and stomping upstairs again. He went to say something but I took off running before he got the chance. I passed by their room and made a face at the door. Last time I had walked by I could hear clearly what they were doing and I hid in my room for a few hours. I just wanted them out of the house was that too much to ask?