6: the party

CHERYL POV:

"I'm having a party tonight, do you want to come?" Kevin ask running up to me. "Sure. What time?" We walk into class. "Be over at 7." I nod. "Ok."

I walk into the house the party is in full swing. Kids are making out everywhere. I slowly make my way through sweaty teens to the kitchen. I see Toni and he quickly notices me. He spills his beer pulling it away from his mouth. He's drunk. "Hey." He says quietly. "Can we talk?" He ask above everything. "Outside." He's drunk. "Yeah." We walk outside and sit by the pool. "Toni..." he stops me. "No! Don't. I don't want to hear it." I sit back. "I can't live without you Cheryl. I shut you out, literally, because I've never broken up with anyone, well not with someone who I love as much as you." I kiss him quickly. "Toni, every time I see you, I see what my father has done to you." I say. He takes my hands. "Are you your dad?" He ask quietly. I shake my head. "No I'm not." He cups my cheek. "You're are not him. I don't blame you for what he has done. Cheryl! You were born into the wrong family and that is not your fault. Ok? You don't need to look at me and think of your father, your brother maybe but not your dad. Your brother was an amazing person, he protected you and me. And-." I stop him. "You're drunk, shut up. I get what you're trying to say." He nods. "Yeah you're right. Can you drive me home? I'm drunk." He admits what I just said. "Yeah, I just got here though." He shrugs. "I've been drinking for the past 2 hours, I didn't think you would show up." I kiss him slowly. "Again, shut up." He smiles and kisses me. I rub his arm. "I'm sorry I broke up with you." I say above a whisper. "Cheryl, I needed the three day break." He jokes. "Promise me one thing," I look up and Toni. "I don't want to be a on off relationship." He says quietly. "Of course. Do you want to go home? It's still early." He nods. "Yeah." We get up and walk to my car. He lies down in the back. "Toni sit up." He sits up. I drive him home, I help him out of the car and walk into the house. We walk his room and I help him get his shirt off. "Wait." He stops me. "What?" I stop. "Can I get changed alone?" I nod and walk out. I let him change, once he is done I walk back in. "Cher, can you lie down next to me?" I nod and lie next to him. We talk for a while and finally drift off to sleep.

TONI POV:

"Toni, I'm sorry that you have to go through this." I look up and my foster parents. I hate this, I want my mom. "How are you doing?" The woman ask. I shrug. "I want my mom." I whisper. "Sweetheart, I know it's hard." She says calmly. I don't want to be here. "Do you want to see your room?" I nod and we walk up to a large room. "It's too big." I say quietly. "Do you have a smaller room?" I ask looking up at her. "Antoinette. What do you mean?" She ask. I cringe at the sound of my name, I don't know why. "I don't like big rooms." I rub my shoulder. "I would also prefer if you called me Toni." She nods. I don't even know her name. "Yeah, Of course to both of them." We walk into a much smaller room. "Is this better?" She ask and I nod. I walk over to the bed and sit on it. "Settle in. I'll call you when it's time for dinner." She closes the door and walks away. I shut off the lights and close the blinds. I pull the blanket over my head and go to sleep.

"Toni." I wake up and Sarah is sitting on my bed trying to wake me up. "What?" I ask quietly. "I got a call, from the adoption agency. And they said it was your birthday." My heart drops. "I don't want to do anything. I didn't even know today was my birthday." She cups my cheek and rubs it. "Bud-." I stop her. "Please, this time of year is hard enough for me." She nods. "Ok, can we at least go out for dinner?" I nod. "Yeah. Can we go to Pops?" She nods and Jason starts crying. "I'll be back." It's my birthday and I had no clue. I rub my head realizing I have a slitting headache. How much did I drink last night? I notice a note on my desk so I pick it up.

"I would have stayed, but there was a meeting for student council. Text me when you wake up." -bombshell

I text Cheryl and tell her to meet me at the river. I get dressed, tell Sarah where I'll be and leave. Once I get there Cheryl is sitting there looking out at the river. "I found out it's my birthday today." I throw my helmet on the ground and sit next to her. "Cheryl? What's wrong?" I ask. She looks like she's been crying. "Anxiety." She says. I rap my arm around her. "And happy birthday." She says quietly. "I don't want to celebrate." I say quietly. "Toni..." Cheryl sits up. "My moms death is coming up and I don't want to think about it. My birthday adds to that. I try to forget and most of the time I do and I act like I don't know. Every time I go to a new house I act stupid like I have no idea that its today." She smiles. "You should celebrate. It might get your mind off of everything." She suggest. "No. How are you doing with your dad in jail?" I ask desperately trying to change the subject. "Good. You?" She cups my cheek. "Fine, I just want my mother back and I know that's impossible. you probably want your brother back to." She nods and kisses me. I deepen the kiss, my hand slowly moves up her thigh but she stops me. "Let's take this back to my house. I walked so we'll take your bike." I nod gets up and taking her hand.