The Story of The Kite

(Image from szin's Animatics. Go watch her on YouTube. Narrator switches to Lafayette.)

"They'll tell the story of tonighhhhttttt...." the disc said. Hera was asleep on the couch while I listened to hamilton. My phone beeped. I checked social media.

Jen Laurens is in a relationship. Alexis Hamilton is in a relationship.

It didn't say who they were in a relationship with. Probably each other. I looked back at Hera. So...tired. Zzzz.

I woke up...in a tent. Strange. A soldier opened the flap of my tent.

"Marquis Lafayette, General George Washington would like to talk to you." The soldier said. I nodded. Being called Marquis Lafayette was...familiar. But wasn't I a marquess? OK, whatever. I checked myself. Huh. I was a male. Interesting. I looked around the tent to see a uniform. It had the right rank on it, so I put it on. Then I walked towards the largest tent, which I assumed was the General's tent.

"Bonjour Monsieur General Georges Washington." I said. The general smiled lightly.

"Lafayette, you must remember it's George, not Georges. And The General would be my preferred title." General George Washington said. I smiled back at him. I was mildly freaked out that I had no way to control myself talking. I coughed.

"Uh, sir, where is Hamilton?" I said. George Washington looked at me bemusedly.

"Do you not remember? I sent him home." Washington said. I laughed.

"Oh right, sent him home to Elizabeth." I said. Washington nodded. Merde. This is before Yorktown then.

"Of course. Now, I'd like to talk to you about your plan. You say hamilton should be back on the battlefield?" George said. I nodded.

"You need your right hand man back sir." I said. George lips went into a hard line.

"I don't want to break his wife's heart, and I love him in a fatherly way as well, so its just...hard. I don't want to put him danger." George said. I nodded.

"But you do realize that he has....wanted to fight since the beginning?" I said. George sighed.

"I know, it's just hard...Hold on. I'll send him a letter. If he replies within a few days, he can fight. No, thats stupid. I am gonna need my right hand man back." George said. He picked up his quill and started writing. After about an hour, he told me to take it to a messenger. I did so. The messenger bounced off to Hamilton's house. And then, boom. I was back in...2018. Gilberta du Motier de Lafayette. I was me again. I feel like I know Marquis de Lafayette, but I prefer Marquess de Lafayette. Hera was awake.

"Girl, you okay?" Hera said. I nodded. There wasn't much else to do. I stood up and went to the kitchen. I brought a tub of ice cream over, along with two spoons.

"Movie and ice cream?" I said. Hera turned white.

"You aren't breaking up with me and having us double ice cream therapy?" She said. I shook my head and laughed.

"No. I'm too lazy to make popcorn, idiot." I said, and hugged her. Hera smiled and we turned on Notflix.

"I love you." Hera said. I clicked through several movies.

"I love you too." I said. The Hera froze. "Uh, Hera?" I said. She was frozen and a glassy look over her eyes. 

SHe was out for a few minutes before she came back.

"Honey, what was that?" I said. Hera shook her head.

"Sorry. I don't know what. It's fine. I'm probably just tired." Hera said. She looked at the ceiling. "Why is there a kite up there? I never noticed it."  I sighed.

"Let me tell you the story of...the kite. See, I was five years old and my mama gave me a kite. It was beautiful, and I loved it very much. Sadly, only one windy day ever happened. My and my mama took the kite outside, and let it loose, and a violent wind caught it, and it was so violent, I myself was lifted into the air. My mama caught me and told me to let go of the kite. And so I did. We later found it in a ditch, five or so blocks away from the park we had gone to. It was dirty and torn. My mama fixed at and well, we put it on the ceiling. Sadly, it's no longer at its former glory." I said. Hera nodded.

"Your poor kite. One of these days we should go to a park, maybe not for kite flying but may be a picnic or something." Hera said. I grinned.

"That would be wonderful." I said. Hera closed her eyes momentarily. "Mon amour, are you falling asleep again?" I said. Hera opened her eyes quickly.

"Uh yeah, I've been slammed with more schoolwork and I just can't find any reason to do it, so I always have late night homework sessions. It's really intruding on my sleep schedule." Hera said. I nodded. My phone buzzed.

Incoming call from: Jen Laurens

I picked up my phone.

"Bonjour mon ami! To what do I owe the pleasure?" I said. The other end of the line was silent.

"Oh sorry. Uhm, I was wondering if...you knew the Schuyler Brothers from school?" Jen said. I searched for recognition. Schuyler brothers? Hmmm. Was that a school band? Non. Oh yeah. They were the rich boys. In... 8th, 7th, and 6th grade. I think I might have heard of them.

"Mon ami, I think I might. Why do you ask about them?" I said. Jen was quiet for a few moments.

"Well, Alexis says she might have a crush on one of them." Jen said quietly. Oh mon dieu!

"But she posted earlier today she was in a relationship!" I said. Jen gave me an uh-huh.

"Yes, and...its with me. But I mean, she's always been flirty with people." Jen said. Then she gasped.

"Mon ami! Are you ok?" I said. Jen coughed.

"How do I know that Alexis has been flirty? I've only known her for...two days...?" Jen said. I coughed.

"Actually, I was wondering that too. Alexis seems so familiar. It's weird." I said. Jen agreed. 

"Talk to you later, Baguette." Jen said, and she hung up. I put down my phone. I looked over at Hera. She seemed to be struggling with her homework. Merde, she left another assignment till the last minute?

"Hera." I said. SHe looked up.

"What is it?" She said. I looked towards the side.

"I don't know, does it seem like Alexis is more familiar than someone you met three-ish days ago?" I said. Hera pondered for a bit. 

"Yeah I feel like I've known her for maybe a month, not less than half a week. Heck, maybe a year or two if I stretch." Hera said. I nodded.

"Ok, I was wondering if it was just me and Jen." I said. Hera shook her head.

"No, it's not. Would you be so kind as to wear this France pin I made for you?" Hera said. She handed me a tiny little french flag.

"Mon amour, this is beautiful...." I said. I could feel my eyes watering up. I hugged Hera. "Thank you!" I said. Hera patted me on the back.

"It's just a gift to my girlfriend." She said. I smiled, and stepped back.

"Well, thank you. Now, lets finish that homework assignment. I have a feeling that you will be needing it done soon. 

"Who lives, who dies, who tells your storyyyyy....." the disc said. Then the music stopped. Ugh, I'd need to reset it.