On The Road Part 1

It had been exactly 96 hours since Lou took off from her loft in New York. She stayed in Colombus only to sleep, there was nothing there that interested her. She then made a stop in Des Moines, Iowa before getting to Fargo, North Dakota. She finally reached Medora, North Dakota which is where the Theodore Roosevelt Nation Park was. This was going to be her first stay somewhere longer than a single night. She wanted to ride through the park and see all the wildlife, especially the buffalo. Large herbaceous animals weren't really a thing in Australia and deer came every once and a while by Deb's old place. 

While on the road, the person she kept most in contact was surprisingly Constance. The kid was always sending her memes, and various facts about whenever she was going to be going the next day. Unknown to anyone at the loft, Constance was also sending Lou updates on Debbie. Lou knew none of the others would really want to tell her unless it was urgent, but Constance couldn't help but help her moms.  Nine Ball would occasionally leave coordinates and various security tips regarding hotels and or anything else Lou wanted to go see after hours. Tammy would send a good morning and a good night text. They occasionally talked about how things were going, but Deb was something neither of them brought up. It got awkward a few times, as Lou wanted to ask, and Tammy wanted to tell, but they knew it wouldn't do any good. Daphne only sent messages telling her not to die. Harry would send her things too, but mainly just messages checking up on her. Debbie on the other hand never sent anything, which Lou expected. It was hard enough as it was, and just reminding each other of how much they missed each other would really dampen the mood. 

Despite her missing her other half, she was thoroughly enjoying being out on the open road. She felt free from everything she ever felt bound too. Whether it was something that happened recently or something that happened when she was 5. She felt free from it all, and that feeling was something she had craved since she first felt suffocated. Though she had never felt more suffocated than when she got the news Debbie had been caught. 

She regretted the fight every day of her life. If she hadn't pushed Deb so hard maybe that would have never happened. But she also knew Deb made her choice, and without getting caught, they may have never what they have now. She saw Claude for what he truly was that night a little over 6 years ago. This lead to the heist of a lifetime and her happy ending. Debbie may or may not agree, but all that pain and suffering she endured for 10 years, it was all worth it. Because she had everything she ever wanted now. And with the fresh air flowing through her lungs, the smell of gasoline, and the sound of her Bonneville Bobber's 76 horsepower engine running made it all a reality for her. 

Lou sent photos of the sunsets and of wildlife to Deb every day. One of the things Debbie missed the most while in the hole were sunsets. She and Lou made it a point every night to stop and look at the sunset. 

********

"Up! Go up!" Debbie yelled. Lou and she were running as fast as they could down a dark alleyway. 

"Get them!" a man shouted. Lou reached and pulled down the fire escape ladder and climbed up in record speed. Deb was right behind her and they both pulled up the ladder. They climbed the rest of the stairs as fast as they could. The men turned the corner into the alleyway and ran down it. There was a dead end at the back of the alley. 

"Come out, come out where ever you are!" another man called. Deb and Lou froze on the last set of stairs. Lou covered her mouth as her breathing was quite heavy and the air was cold enough to where her breath could be seen. Debbie buried her face into Lou's shoulder. The men paced up and down the alley but once they realized they had lost the girls they turned back and ran off in the other direction. Lou and Deb quickly scampered up the last set of stairs and found themselves on top of an apartment building looking over the city. Deb went and sat on the very edge of the building, her feet hanging off the side. If she were to move about 5 inches forward she'd fall right off and onto the city sidewalk. Lou cautiously approached her and sat beside her woman. Lou emptied her pockets and Deb did the same.