08

my confidence shuddered just like a fallen glass that shattered before we could even reach out

my confidence shuddered just like a fallen glass that shattered before we could even reach out. the moment my eyes landed at the lady in front of me, I knew I lost the battle.  my hands were wrapped around his arm, still I felt small beside them. 

"jihyun." his voice softened when he called me by my name. "this is kim jiae," the way his tone raised bright when he let his lips moved to speak her name, I was defeated. "and jiae, this is jihyun...my wife." 

I extended my hand and she flashed a smile that could take anyone's breath. "kang jihyun, I used to be president kim's secretary," I told her and she nodded her head before telling me that she heard a lot about me. 

she wasn't mean, I couldn't get mad at her because she was so soft spoken. "you're such a lucky woman, jihyun," she said as she looked at yoongi, "so, when are we going to hear the news about a baby?" 

my lips were sealed as the word baby kept playing in my head. I remembered that day when I had my stillbirth and I remembered the day of my miscarriage. then I looked at the man beside me. 

he was looking at kim jiae— his eyes were twinkling as though he was stargazing. I wore the most sparkling dress and yet I wasn't the shining star in his eyes. I was just the woman that made him move on. 

or the woman that tried to make him move on. 

"we don't know yet—"

"do you guys want something to drink? jihyun?" I hung my head low and just told president kim that I wanted to go with him. so we just left them with no words unsaid. I wasn't sure if I wanted to cry or I just wanted closure. 

I grabbed any drink that was on the table and chugged it without hesitation. I could feel my heart beating fast against my chest and at the same time, I felt burn inside my throat as I was holding myself from crying. 

"hey, you alright?" 

"president kim—"

"I told you to call me, seokjin." he put down the cup in my grasp and then he took my wrist and dragged me to a safer place, where I could let myself breakdown. thankfully I didn't, no matter how much I wanted to cry, I couldn't let a tear fall. odd. "look, everyone in the office thinks—" 

I shook my head to make him stop speaking, "I don't want to think about it." I took a deep breath and exhaled it sharply, "we're married for two years now, I trust him. I mean, I'm sure it's because jiae was his ex girlfriend like us, now." 

he furrowed his brows, "don't make it sound like we had a relationship before. the feelings weren't mutual, you fall in love with him and I'm fine with that." his gaze softened once he saw a tear escaped from my eye. 

the feeling was mutual. but he never knew and I never wanted to tell him. "and I mean you still look at me like how he looks at her—" I closed my eyes to stop myself from continuing my own words. 

both of us stayed silent for a couple of seconds, "I'm sorry to bring you here. I wanted to see you—" 

"everyone wanted to see me and I wanted to see you guys too." 

then a few minutes after, hoseok approached us with his empty cup and his sassy face. "jiae is sure one sneaky girl," he decided to say in front of my face. I just smiled to him, "don't worry hun, I'm sure they're just friends.

"I'm sure too," I told him, "okay guys, I'm not being negative at the moment. I know that they are friends and I am so sure of it! I—" my eyes rounded as I felt something not good inside my stomach. that feeling of gas suddenly erupting like a volcano ready to explode. 

I extended my index finger and told them to stay. they were looking at me as if I was weird, and before I could explain, I ran to the toilet as fast as I could, thankfully the office wasn't like a bar, no one was in there. 

I hurriedly entered one of the cubicle and crouched down to vomit whatever that was inside my stomach. "jihyun!" they ran inside panicking on the doorway, "are you okay?!" one of them patted my back to ease my back. 

"yeah," I wiped my dirty mouth with a handkerchief that president kim gave me. "it was probably the drink," I said to stop them from worrying, "I think I need to go home."

but before I stepped inside the lift, yoongi dragged me away to a quieter place. he looked at me with shaky eyes but I wasn't sure if he was being empathetic or angry. "why did you come here, darling?" 

I flinched hearing to that nickname coming out from his mouth, "why didn't you tell me to come here?" I whispered because I was being considerate to his reputation—everyone would always compliment him for being the best guy. 

"because I didn't want you to come." 

he was the best guy, he still was the best guy in my life. "why? why didn't you want me to come? I am your wife—" both of us paused when someone walked pass us, "I was invited here and I am always invited here." 

"you're not part of the company anymore." 

"president kim invited me." 

he narrowed his eyes, his gaze gave me those jealous eyes which made me chortle. "this is why I didn't want you to come. president kim still have feelings for you, we can see it clearly just by how he looks at you." 

my jaws dropped in disbelief, "I hope you're joking—" we paused one more time because someone walked pass us again. "I'm not going to continue this conversation here. I'm going home." 

"good because you should've stay at home from the beginning."