Part 10

"Kristen, Kristen, wake up!" William's voice was gentle and soothing as he called to me.

I jolted awake, my eyes snapping open. The first thing I saw was an unfamiliar ceiling with rough wooden beams and a dim light flickering from a candle. Panic surged through me as I realised I was no longer in my own home but in an unknown location deep in the woods.

Tears streamed down my face as I cried out in terror, "Where am I? What's happening?"

William appeared at my side, his face filled with concern. "Shh, it's okay," he said, taking my hand and gently stroking my hair. "You're safe now. I won't let anything happen to you."

I shook my head, my body trembling with fear. "How did I get here?" I sobbed. The terror I felt was overwhelming.

William took a deep breath, his eyes filled with empathy. "I'm sorry for all this. When John brought you here, you were unconscious. I've been waiting for you to wake up."

I sniffled, glancing warily around the room. "So, you asked him to abduct me? Why?" I asked, trying to move away from him. He felt different now, not like the guy I knew from college. His presence made my heart race in a way that unsettled me.

William sighed deeply. "I'll explain everything, I promise. But first, let's calm down. Can I get you anything?"

I nodded, still feeling overwhelmed. As William left to fetch me a drink, I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths, trying to regain my composure. I knew I had to stay strong and understand what was happening. I heard footsteps approaching and opened my eyes to see William returning with a glass of water. His expression was one of intense anger as he glanced sharply at John.

William's white shirt was stained with what appeared to be blood. His skin was pale, and his warm green eyes had turned an unsettling black. My heart pounded with terror, and I followed his gaze, my scream escaping as I saw what he was looking at.

"I think I missed the show, brother," John said, striding towards me. Confusion and anger surged within me.

"Did you... did you kidnap me?" I demanded through gritted teeth, gripping the bedside lamp, ready to defend myself.

"Don't flatter yourself. I didn't kidnap you. I asked you to come with me nicely, but you tried to flee. I just did what I was asked to do!" John replied with a sinister grin. My body shook with a mix of anger and fear.

William's face contorted with rage. He lunged at John, delivering a powerful punch to his jaw that sent him crashing into the hallway.

"I asked you to convince her and bring her to me, not to bewitch and harm her!" William roared, following his friend into the hall.

I was left alone, my mind racing as I tried to make sense of the chaos around me.

"Cool down, William! I didn't want to create a scene in the forest and attract any unwanted creatures. Plus, she wouldn't have come with me if I'd just asked nicely. I had to use compulsion," John said, his face twisted with anger, making him look even more sinister.

"Why did you use magic on her?" William snarled.

"We used compulsion to keep her away from her aunt, but she broke Nina's spell and tried to escape," John explained, raising his hands in surrender.

I was utterly bewildered by their conversation. Fear gripped me again as I realized they seemed to know the woman who had compelled me, and it felt like everything was orchestrated and that William might be a part of it.

John snorted, and a cruel smile touched his lips.

"William, please tell me what's going on," I whispered, my voice trembling.