Part 18

Apart from Lyn, I rarely had visitors, so I wondered who could be at the door. My initial thought was that it might be Lyn, but something didn't feel right.

Another sharp knock echoed through the room, sending a shiver down my spine. The unease settled deeper within me, a warning that something was amiss. The third knock came with a harshness that made my hands tremble. I hesitated, my heart racing, before peering through the keyhole.

I saw a girl who looked like a maid standing outside. Her uniform was neat but her face was tense.

"Who is it?" I called out, trying to mask the fear in my voice.

"I am here to serve food," she said urgently, her tone raising my suspicion. Lyn was the only one who ever brought me food.

"Where's Lyn?" I demanded.

"She was summoned by the royal, so she sent me instead," the girl replied, her voice edged with a hint of impatience.

The silver knob felt cold and heavy in my hand as I twisted it, pulling the door open to reveal the girl. Her eyes darted around nervously, and a chill crept up my spine. I had a sinking feeling that something was terribly wrong.

Just when I opened the door slightly, a shadow moved behind her, and the air grew colder. My heart pounded as I realized she was not here to serve food. The girl was terrified looking at either side of the hall. I raised a brow looking at her. The girl was tiny compared to me and looked a few years younger than me and wore a uniform like other maids. I opened the door wide for her to enter, I got a strange feeling about her. The girl walked inside and placed the tray on the table, she surveyed the room for another presence.

"What's wrong?" I asked her taking a step close to the door ready to flee. I am sure there is something odd about her, I can feel it.

" I see you are alone." She hissed.

The girl's head snapped in my direction and smirked haughtily which sent shivers down my spine. Suddenly, her pupils turned a menacing shade of red, and I gasped as two long, sharp fangs protruded from between her lips. In an instant, she lunged at me, and I froze in terror, unable to move or even scream. I probably should have run but I was rooted in my spot horrified. With alarming strength, she lifted me off the ground, her fingers closing tightly around my throat, squeezing the air out of my lungs. She was strong compared to her size.

I struggled to free myself as I clutched her hand around my neck, my feet thrashing helplessly as I fought to breathe. My vision began to blur, and I could feel the edges of my consciousness slipping away. he room was plunged into darkness. 

Just when I thought I couldn't take it any longer, she suddenly threw me like a rag doll, and I fell to the ground with a sickening thud.  The floorboards creaked beneath me.

Gasping for breath, tears streamed down my face as I looked up at the girl, my body trembling uncontrollably. My vision blurred with fear as I desperately tried to inhale, each breath coming in ragged gasps. I tried to move away from her, my heart pounding in my chest, but before I could call for help, a man appeared beside her in the blink of an eye. I felt two strong arms pick me up and slam against a wall.

I screamed, but his hand clamped over my mouth, smothering my cries. The pressure of his grip was unbearable, sending sharp pangs of pain through my arm. I whimpered and struggled, but his hold only tightened, his fingers digging into my flesh.

My fear was crashing over me, and I felt utterly helpless. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I looked around desperately, praying for someone to save me from this nightmare. The man's cold, unfeeling gaze matched the girl's, amplifying my terror.