Bad Blood

The ride back to the city was awkward, to say the least. Nathaniel's anger hadn't subsided. The white in his knuckles as he gripped the steering wheel and the triple digits on the speedometer was proof of that. As much as Aaliyah wanted to console him, she knew, he wouldn't be appeased until he confronted his father, and even that might not be enough.

When they finally pulled up to her building, she practically jumped out of the car.

"Baby," Nathaniel grabbed her arm before she could get inside.

"Please, Nate. I'm tired. It's been a long day and I just want to..."

"I'm sorry Liya." He released her. "The last thing I wanted to do was drag you into my family's shit. My father just..." his voice faded. "I know I shouldn't let him get to me but...."

"I understand, Nate. I do." She wrapped her arms around him. "I just want to be here for you. Please don't push me away."

Caressing her face, the warmth returned to his eyes. "I'm sorry, baby."

"I love you, Nate. I just want to be a part of your life—good or bad."

Resting his head against hers, he exhaled. "I love you too, baby."

Looking into his eyes, she could see his tension start to ease.

"Why don't you come upstairs? Take care of the matter with your father tomorrow."

"I... I don't know..."

"Come on," she pulled him up the stairs of the stoop. "I'll draw a hot bath and we can pick up where we left off."

The arch in his brow told her he was enticed by the idea.

"Come on, baby," she teased. "Let me make you forget about all your worries. I promise things will be different in the morning."

The kiss she placed on his full lips sealed the deal as he lifted her small frame and carried her into the building.

*****

When Nathaniel stepped out of the elevator unto the 72nd floor of his office building, he could have sworn the room had no ceiling. "What the hell is this woman doing to me?" he thought as a smile graced his handsome face. In one night, Aaliyah managed to appease his anger and then some.

"Mr. Greyson. Your....", his assistant greeted him with a cup of coffee and an uneasy look on her face.

"Good morning, Sarah. How was your weekend?"

"My...my weekend, sir?" Her eyes narrowed as she followed him to his office. "Fine. Th-thank you for asking. But..."

"Do me a favor..." he interrupted her again. "have two dozen red roses delivered to Ms. Richard's address, and make reservations for us tonight at Le Bernardine."

"Yes sir, but..."

Before she could finish her sentence, Nathaniel opened his office door, and suddenly, the anger he'd forgotten resurfaced.

"Well, well, the prodigal son has finally returned from his weekend of debauchery." Thaedyn Greyson called over his shoulder, his gaze fixed on the sea of buildings outside the large glass windows.

"I'm sorry sir. I...I", Sarah tried to explain his father's intrusion.

Nathaniel's first instinct was to dismiss Sarah—angrily, of course; and rip his father a new one, but Aaliyah's words came to mind.

"Don't give him control. Use this to your advantage."

"It's ok, Sarah. Hold my calls." Nathaniel smiled and closed the door behind her.