Epilogue: Starting Over

Epilogue

As Liya sat alone, watching the scene of cars and busy pedestrians, outside her bedroom window, blend into one, her mind replayed the words, over and over.

'Everything was a lie.'

That night. That perfect night when Nate told her that he wanted to be a part of her life. That was the night he left her and lay in Patrice's arms. The thought made her sick.

As the tears rolled down her cheek, she hated herself for missing him-for wishing he'd kept his secret and just asked her to marry him. But then...

'Everything was a lie.'

They couldn't build a future on dishonesty-not one worth having. She was better off without him, she knew it. If only she could make her heart believe it.

As the door to the apartment opened, and Kaitlyn and Ryan walked in, she quickly wiped her tears. The last thing she wanted was their pity-like she'd been the one dumped.

She hadn't.

She was the one who dumped him; only, it felt the other way around.

Their whole relationship she felt like she was the lucky one. That any woman would give their right arm to have what she had-to have him. But she was wrong.

He was a liar-a beautiful liar-her liar.

Shaking her head, she refused to let her emotions get the best of her. Nathaniel Greyson was a part of her past, and it was time she moved on.

"Hey, girl. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." She lied as she helped her friend with a grocery bag.

"Ryan's making dinner tonight-fettuccini-his specialty. You want to join?"

"No. I made plans with Joanna. She had some news about my book."

"Something big, I hope?" Kaitlyn smiled warmly.

"Well," She shook herself from her somberness and headed back to her room. "I better get ready. Enjoy the fettuccini."

******

As the taxi pulled outside Marea, Joanna's favorite Italian restaurant in all Manhattan, Lia quickly made her way inside. To her relief, Joanna was already there. Liya wanted to get this evening over. Ever since the 'break up' she avoided this side of town, in fear of running into him.

"Liya!" Joanna waved her down, catching the attention of too many patrons. Making her way across the room in record timing, Liya forced a smile as she accepted the menu from the waiter.

"You look good. Are you good?" Joanna studied her like a doting mother.

"I'm fine Joanna. Let's just order."

Regretting her harshness, Liya sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm fine-really."

"I know you are sweetheart. You're a survivor."

"So, what was the news? You said you had news over the phone?" Liya quickly changed the subject--anything to keep herself from falling apart in this public place."

'Tears were a part of the healing process,' her therapist told her, but public displays of emotions were something Liya refused to do. In her mind, it only proved one weak. After Nate, she'd never let herself be that vulnerable again.

"I got a call from Warren Butler, the director..."

"I know who he is." Liya sighed as she told a half-truth. The name was familiar but she had no idea why. As Joanna went on and on about Warren's work and reputation, Liya let her mind drift off to Nate again. She wondered where he was? What he was doing?