14• Beginning an Adventure

VANESSA

When I get to the gym and get changed out of my scrubs, I am greeted with the sight of all five of the team members working out on a mat in the center of the gym.

I set my duffel bag down on a bench that rests next to the entrance, and I casually take a seat to watch what is about to unfold.

Ethan is at the center of the mat. Ajax and Felix are to his left, Drake is to his right, and Tony is in front of him. They all move around, shifting their weight with fists raised.

It looks like they're having a showdown or something of that sort.

I wonder why Ethan is in the center. He's the leader and all, but can he really take on his whole team?

BAM. Antonio is the first to surge toward Ethan, but Ethan is ready. Antonio gets one punch at Ethan's chest, but Ethan grabs his arm, ducks under him, and bucks him over his shoulder, sending Antonio flying onto the mat. As he slams against it, he loses his breath, and he sputters.

I cringe and raise a hand to my mouth as the show goes on.

Ajax and Felix charge Ethan at the same time, which at first I think is unfair. Within seconds, I realize that his team members attacking in numbers means nothing to him. Before Felix can even get a shot in, Ethan extends his arm and punches his neck with an open hand, the jab looking horribly painful.

Felix takes an uneasy step back as both his hands lift to his neck. While this is happening, Ajax is trying his best to charge his leader. His and Ethan's hand movements are so fast, Ethan blocking every single punch Ajax tries to pursue. Ethan's counter moves are hard, quick, and sharp. Ethan finally gets a blow from Ajax, though, when Ajax surprises him with a kick to his knee.

Ethan grumbles when his leg twists in a way that has me wincing, but his recovery is smooth. Somehow, he hooks his leg behind Ajax's foot and knocks him right off his feet. To say I'm impressed would be an understatement.

I almost call out to Ethan when he turns to Drake and puts his fists up because he doesn't notice that Felix is running at him from behind. Or, at least, that's what it looks like. Right when Felix looks as if he might get the jump on Ethan, Ethan sidesteps and lifts his fist so that he socks Felix right in the jaw.

Felix told me he wasn't much of a fighter, and I'd have to agree with that statement. Felix backs away, rubbing his nose in aggravation.

Ethan safely turns to Drake a second time, and that's when the tension in the room rises. The determined look on Drake's scowling face has me on the edge of my seat. Ethan wears a smile, almost as if he is mocking his close friend.

Even though I don't like Drake, I hope he wipes that grin right off his face.

It actually looks as if he might do exactly that when Drake first encounters Ethan. Ethan blocks a few punches, but Drake towers over Ethan, overpowering him. He gets two punches in, one at Ethan's chest and one at his jaw.

I would've given up then, but Ethan doesn't. The two of them punch each other, mostly aiming at the joints and important parts of the body. The face is only aimed at a few times, and I'm sure it's because they don't want to have their handsome faces all messed up.

They spar for the longest time, the two of them going back and forth. The two never fault. When one almost seems as if they might lose, they rise again to tussle with the other. They never turn their backs to each other, which I find strange, but it's like clockwork. When one is about to turn their back on the other, they turn a three sixty faster than I can blink.