30• Monster

VANESSA

"So," my mom passes me a plate of eggs and microwave bacon before she takes one herself and sits across from me at our small dining table. "That boy last night..."

There's several questions floating around in her pretty brown eyes. I smile at her. "He's a friend."

"So, you've got more than one good looking friend. Good for you." My mom winks and I nearly choke on the piece of bacon in my mouth.

"He's not interested." I state hastily. Then, even in a firmer voice, "And I'm not interested either."

"Okay." My mom shrugs. "Well, don't keep all your eggs in one basket."

I nearly ask her what she means when I remember that she still believes Ethan and I are a thing. I chuckle. "I won't."

"Good." She remarks, taking a bite of her eggs. "Oh, guess what? I got a new cleaning job that pays even more than the guy's house I had you clean."

My heart sinks slightly in remembrance. "That's good, mom. Just be careful. Okay? People aren't always who they seem to be."

She smiles. "I know, honey. I should be the one telling you that. Especially with these boys hanging around."

I nod. "Oh, I know. Everyone's got secrets these days."

She laughs. "Well, if you have more of those boy friends, feel free to invite them over whenever, even if we don't have the biggest of apartments. I can always hit the town to let you have your space."

I smile as she says, "Don't let your 'ole mom let you ruin your fun."

"You are my fun. Look at this delicious breakfast." I grin as I shovel in the last bite of food.

I get up and drop my plate off in the trash. "Mom, thank you for breakfast." I lean over and kiss the top of her head. "I'm going to head to work. Love you."

"Love you." She responds with a little wave, and then I'm off.

••

I stare into my boss's eyes with my heart in my throat. The walls of his office are closing in around us. The stern look he's passing me makes my stomach twist in an awful way.

"You can't take another leave like that." My boss firmly states. "You've taken up all of your business leave and personal leave."

Jesus. Was I out that many times? It doesn't seem like it.

"Yes sir." I peer into his disappointed eyes. "A lot has been going in my life recently. I'm sorry."

"Well, not showing up to work is unacceptable." He tells me and points to the door. "Now, get to work."

I nod once and leave with a giant hole in my stomach. Great. I almost just lost my job. I probably need to start putting myself first in this whole CIA business.

**

I'm the first one at the dinner table in the bar where Tony has taken me a couple of times. I pick us out a six-seater table, and selfishly I already order a fruity drink.

I'm actually sitting by myself for a while, but that's probably because I got here thirty minutes early. I thought there was going to be traffic, so I left my apartment early, but apparently, not a lot of people are out and about on a Wednesday night.

The only reason I know to come to this place and to be here by seven is because Tony texted me.

Yeah, he apparently got my number.