3

"...So are you crazy or something?"
We're sitting at a booth across from each other, eating chips and chicken.
"No." Stefan says sharply.
"I mean, I- don't think so." He runs his hands through his hair, "Lately I've just been a bit, I don't know, confused? Just some things aren't making a lot of sense and I've been stressed with work-"
"What do you do?" I ask.
"I'm designing this video game. It's for Colin Ritman, do you know about Colin Ritman?"
"I think I've heard his name somewhere."
"Anyways, I'm programming an adventure game based off of this book called Bandersnatch."
"Oh, I've read that." I interrupt, "Didn't the author murder his wife?"
"Yeah. Yeah he did. But the book is brilliant, and so I'm adapting it into the game, but..." he gets quiet.
"But?" I inquire.
"But nothing- it's nothing."
"Well fine." I sit back and fold my arms, "if I don't get to know all of your secrets, then I won't tell you mine."
"I'm serious, there's nothing."
"So your seeing Haynes every week for fun? Oh sure." I smile and roll my eyes.
"You won't believe me if I tell you." He looks down at his fingers which he's been biting nervously.
"Trust me, after the things that I've seen- I mean- I'm sure it's not that bad." I reassure him.
"Okay..." he takes a deep breath before talking, "...I- I think I'm being controlled. I'll wake up in the morning and pick a cereal, except that I didn't pick it. It wasn't my choice. And- and when I go to pick what music I want to listen to I don't have control over it. Yesterday I- I almost..." He puts his face in his hands.
"What? It's okay, Stefan," I whisper soothingly.
"I had to stop myself from killing my dad. I didn't want to, of course, but it was like my hands actually considered pounding his head in with the fucking ash tray." His voice is low and he looks around to make sure no one's listening.
"Have you told Dr. Haynes yet?" I ask.
"Yeah, but she just says it's me growing up and having to make adult decisions." He sighs.
"What about you? Now you have to tell me your secrets." He smiles cheekily, this time with his eyes.
.
.
.
*Tell Stefan your secrets - continue to chapter 4*
*Don't reveal your secrets - go to chapter 5*