11

Ever since Stefan told me about his simulation theory, I've been on edge. I can't even be in the same room as Anwir and I've been doubting everything. I can't even trust my own mom. What if she knows about it?
I've done my part by exploring the house at night. I went into the attic, but found nothing suspicious that could prove we're being controlled by the government. The only room I haven't been able to get to is the door in Anwir's bedroom. It's a small passage that leads to the attic I'm pretty sure, but it's locked and I have no way of getting in.
"Stefan," I say into the phone after he picks up, "I told you I don't know how to get in it. The door is locked."
"You know that's where he's hiding it."
"Hiding what?" I ask.
"Whatever their using to control us! A computer that logs data? A console that makes us see what they want us to see? I don't know, Mili. But I know that room holds the answers."
"Well I'm sorry. But I can't open it." I tell him again.
"I'll be right over." Stefan says before he hangs up.

...

I greet Stefan at the front door when I hear him knock.
"Is anyone home?" He asks.
"No. Mum's at work and Anwir is out."
"Good." Stefan walks into the living room.
"Stefan..." he's starting to scare me with how serious he's acting.
He turns to face me and takes a deep breath.
"I'm sorry, Mili." He puts his hand on my chin and kisses me.
We stand there hugging for a second before I pull away.
"Stefan, are you sure about all of this? Could this really be some plan orchestrated by the government? Why would we be involved? What's so special about us?"
Stefan looks into my eyes.
"I don't want to believe it, but the things Colin told me and the files I found in my dad's safe and our feelings of being controlled are too much of a coincidence to not mean something."
"Here," I say, turning around, "I'll take you to Anwir's room."

"Do you have a screw driver or something?" Stefan asks after examining the lock on the tiny door.
"Yeah one second." I run out of the room and return seconds later holding the screwdriver.
It takes a few minutes of tinkering with it before the latch breaks.
Stefan pushes on the door and it creaks open.
"What do you see?" I ask him as he sticks his head in.
"I don't know yet, I can't find the light switch."
"There's a light above you." A voice says.
I spin around and gasp when I see Anwir. His arms are crossed and there's a smirk across his face.
"What are guys doing? Breaking into my storage area?" He takes a step closer.

Stefan has come out of the little room and moves in front of me.
"What are you doing? Who are you?" He asks Anwir.
"Mili, I told you this guy is bonkers." He chuckles, "I'm Anwir, Mili's brother."
"You're not my brother." I whisper.
"What did you say?" The brown eyed stranger comes closer.
"I said that you. Are not. My brother." I say it loudly and slow.
"So you're both insane, that makes more sense now." The man scoffs, still coming closer to us.
I'm backed up against the wall now, in front of the open passageway with Stefan right in front of me.
Suddenly, I feel someone grab my waist and pull me backward, causing me to slam my head on the door frame. I black out mid scream.
.
.
.
*continue to chapter 12*